Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Christmas Tin

Kwc27122

Hello,

I just received a Princess Mary Christmas Tin. It is in really good shape for being 109 yrs old.  I’ve been looking to get one of these for quite a while. Now, I’m looking to get the contents. I’ll probably have to settle for reproductions. Here is a pic.

IMG_0117.jpeg

The contents vary. The  one I have was for a smoker, it has an unopened tobacco packet, a packet of cigarettes (one missing) but no Christmas card, pipe, pencil etc. I think the non-smokers version contained chocolate but I’m not an expert. There are threads about such tins which will no doubt contain better knowledge than I possess.

Simon

There’s a good thread here that may be of interest.

Dave.

The cigarette packet is as mine. I know mine is original as it came through my wife’s family, along with other items that related to the recipient including a ribbon bar with his ‘14 star and rose, squeak and Wilfred with M.l.D oak leaf and his DCM ribbon (sadly no medals).

2 minutes ago, mancpal said:

The cigarette packet is as mine. I know mine is original as it came through my wife’s family, along with other items that related to the recipient including a ribbon bar with his ‘14 star and rose, squeak and Wilfred with M.l.D oak leaf and his DCM ribbon (sadly no medals).

Lovely things to own Simon, I have a couple of tins and a pencil but nothing sadly with a personal connection.

Dave.

Kwc,

That looks to be in fine condition!

Do these tins carry manufacturer’s marks?

Also, I can read most of our allies (Serbia, France, Japan, Russia, Montenegro) on the tin, but the name in the top left-hand corner escapes my eyesight and my brain refuses to process the combatants of the GW.

Any offers?

Regards,

JMB

4 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Kwc,

That looks to be in fine condition!

Do these tins carry manufacturer’s marks?

Also, I can read most of our allies (Serbia, France, Japan, Russia, Montenegro) on the tin, but the name in the top left-hand corner escapes my eyesight and my brain refuses to process the combatants of the GW.

Any offers?

Regards,

JMB

I think it’s Belgium, a little clearer on some of the examples in the thread I posted….apparently seven different types of tin.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Dave/Kwc,

Thanks for your answers—I’ll have to read that thread!

Regards,

JMB