Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Étretat

Jives

I am on my way to Étretat Cemetery to visit my great grandfather’s grave.  First one in the family to visit so very emotional xx If there are any fellow relatives of Northumberland Fusiliers let me know if you want any pictures x 

On 14/05/2023 at 10:44, Jives said:

I am on my way to Étretat Cemetery to visit my great grandfather’s grave.  First one in the family to visit so very emotional xx If there are any fellow relatives of Northumberland Fusiliers let me know if you want any pictures x 

Enjoy your trip.  My wife's great uncle was with 6th NF and is buried there, having been mortally wounded preparing the assembly trenches next to High Wood for the battle of Flers-Courcelette in September 1916.  Funnily enough went past there today on the way to/from a rederie in Courcelette.  Have plenty of photos of Etretat so none required but thanks for the offer.

Reg

Ashton_C headstone.JPG

Thank you - I did see cuthbert’s grave and paid my respects to him.  I find it so moving that perhaps they were next to each other in NO 1 General hospital as my great grandad died on the 5th October 1916 and they were from the same Regiment.   Can you tell me is there anyway to find out how he was injured and to what extent ?  Thank you.  Jan

21 hours ago, Jives said:

Thank you - I did see cuthbert’s grave and paid my respects to him.  I find it so moving that perhaps they were next to each other in NO 1 General hospital as my great grandad died on the 5th October 1916 and they were from the same Regiment.   Can you tell me is there anyway to find out how he was injured and to what extent ?  Thank you.  Jan

Hello Jan.

Thank you for paying your respects.  We think that, like you, we were the first from the family to visit his grave.  His parents had died before him and he was one of 6 brothers.  We never figured out why he joined up with the NF and we've not found a photo of him but we were fortunate to obtain his medals from the MoD as the originals had been returned (nobody at home to receive them)

I'm not sure I can add much more.  You didn't give your relative's name or battalion.  Some of the battalions' war diaries are very detailed, like the 6NF and, unusually do list other ranks.  I think the 4th, 5th and 7th are similarly detailed.  Cuthbert was reported as wounded on 13 September around the time there were some large working parties preparing the assembly trenches.  The battalions assembled at Eye Trench and the main access was via Bethel Sap which came under heavy fire.  We've found quite a bit of debris when walking the area.  I haven't done any research on the line of evacuation for casualties but I would guess they may have gone via Heilly Station.  What are your relative's details?

Reg

if you check details on Fold 3 they may have a card for him, so do list reason for wounding but not all do.

He is Richard Scott 4401 1/6 battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.  Injured 15th September 1916 and died Etretat 5th October 2016. 

What’s fold 3 please ?