Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Work on a Hospital Barge' by Sister M. Peterkin - available?

alf mcm

Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of Sister M Peterkin’s memoir, "Work on a Hospital Barge". I have looked online and can’t see a copy for sale.

Alternatively, is there a digital copy of this book available online? 

Regards,

Alf McM

Checked Abe books in case you had not done so.   No luck unfortunately.  Hope you find it.

Sue

Thanks Barbara,

That was extremely useful. I have just ordered a copy. I should have it within 14 days.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a reply from Leeds Library Special Collections and they have told me that the book is still in copyright. This means they are only allowed to copy up to 5% of the pages and asked which ones I wanted copied.

Since I would like to read the whole book I am therefore still looking to purchase a copy, if anyone knows where I can do this.

Regards,

Alf McM

Perhaps you could try the publisher, stated in this link http://pbbooks.com/press.htm to be Chavril Press, Bloomfield, Perth Road, Abernethy, Perth, Scotland PH2 9LW,  (provided it is still in existence)

The book is available at  the British Library, National Library of Scotland and Oxford University Library, and perhaps elsewhere.  If you can't source a copy  of the entire book, perhaps you can get a few pages from each holder.

Maureen

Edited by MaureenE

Thanks Maureen,

Contacting the publisher is a good idea. I'll give that a try. If I remember, one of our forum members lives in Abernethy, or nearby. Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but he may know about the publisher.

The booklet is apparently 20 pages long, so I could legally only get 1 page from each holder. Hopefully the publisher is still trading.

Regards,

Alf McM

On 18/05/2023 at 00:10, alf mcm said:

The booklet is apparently 20 pages long, so I could legally only get 1 page from each holder. Hopefully the publisher is still trading.

This British Library article says "Up to 10% of a short book (up to 200 pages long)"

https://www.bl.uk/business-and-ip-centre/articles/fair-dealing-copyright-explained

but perhaps that will not make much practical difference.

Maureen

Go to your local public library and ask for an inter-library loan - costs £3 from my local library and you can keep the book for the normal loan period.

sJ

Fingers crossed :)

• 2 weeks later...

SJ,

I went to my local library and the librarian was very helpful. She checked the library catalogue, which I had already checked online, and no libraries had the book. She was only able to do inter-library loans in the West Lothian area. She then checked local schools and college libraries but still with no results. The Local History library doesn’t have a copy either, which is surprising since Millicent Peterkin was born locally, in Linlithgow.

I noticed that some of Millicent’s letters were up for auction in April. The listing is informative and indicates which barges she probably served on. 1917 (Sep 21) - 1918 (Dec 24) Covers with enclosed letters all from Sister Millicent Peterkin, wo (the-saleroom.com)

This article quotes from Millicent’s letters. Edinburgh Peace Garden dedicated to First World War ‘barge sisters’ | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

I am currently reading ‘It’s a Long Way to Tipperary’  by Yvonne McEwen, and Millicent has been quoted  few times. Not got to the barge bits yet! The book is a good read but is spoiled by having no index or list of sources.

I think the best chance I will get of reading Millicent’s book is to go into the National Library of Scotland, next time I am in Edinburgh.

Regards,

Alf McM

On 02/06/2023 at 10:11, alf mcm said:

She was only able to do inter-library loans in the West Lothian area.

Hallo Alf,

The quoted statement surprises me, as the British Library Document Supply Centre (BLDSC) used to be open to all public library services, and I would have thought the NLS was the same; but maybe there are cost and/or supply structures of which I am not aware.

I wonder whether it's worthwhile contacting the NLS directly to see if they have a mechanism in place which might help you?

I can't fault the efforts you've made and I'm only sorry they're not bearing fruit!

Best wishes,

sJ