Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

12th / 16th Middx, CPL George Howard Selly G/33397

Duffer

Hi ...can you help me reunite this medal?

I purchased a 1918 British WW1 War (Silver) medal to repair one of my own family medals.

I'd now like to trace the original family / descendants.

On the edge it has "G-33397 CPL G H Selly Middx R" ...from the military number I have ascertained that this is probably George Howard Selly.

From Ancestry.co.uk a Roll of Individuals shows that me was with 12th & 16th Middx.

This is all I know at this stage.

I have already found a George Howard Selley, born 28 Apr 1891, Finsbury Park, Middx ...who went on to marry a Alice Mary Ann Blackwell ...but I haven't managed to find any military records confirming if this is the same chap.

Can anyone help find any records for Selly showing his address / parents names / wife etc. to help wrap this up.

I have already located a living decendant of the Selley family who I could send the medal to but I just want to be sure.

Any help much appreciated

ColinG

8 minutes ago, Duffer said:

Hi ...can you help me reunite this medal?

I purchased a 1918 British WW1 War (Silver) medal to repair one of my own family medals.

I'd now like to trace the original family / descendants.

On the edge it has "G-33397 CPL G H Selly Middx R" ...from the military number I have ascertained that this is probably George Howard Selly.

From Ancestry.co.uk a Roll of Individuals shows that me was with 12th & 16th Middx.

This is all I know at this stage.

I have already found a George Howard Selley, born 28 Apr 1891, Finsbury Park, Middx ...who went on to marry a Alice Mary Ann Blackwell ...but I haven't managed to find any military records confirming if this is the same chap.

Can anyone help find any records for Selly showing his address / parents names / wife etc. to help wrap this up.

I have already located a living decendant of the Selley family who I could send the medal to but I just want to be sure.

Any help much appreciated

ColinG

Hi Colin,

George parents lived at 32 Hornsey Park Road, Hornsey and I attach the 1911 Census result. 

30749047-010B-4EEB-B6BE-33283DD63F0B_4_5005_c.jpeg

he married Alice Mary Ann Blackwell from 60 Northview Road.

00FFFE42-780F-47BC-BA64-C6418DB309F3.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

Hi

Thank you very much for the Selley info ...but I already have this information. The piece I am missing is any information that links the medals "Selly" to the George Howard "Selley" ...it is possibly a spelling thing but surely the army would have got his details correct?

Many thanks for your kind help

ColinG

Colin, just to confirm Forces War Records have a G H Selly 33397 Middlesex Regiment of Wood Green, N, reported wounded 8th November 1917 so I think with the address you have the right man. n addition there are no other G H Selley / Selly recorded. 

72596950-1CE3-4009-805B-B0751FAC30C9.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Colin, just to confirm Forces War Records have a G H Selly 33397 Middlesex Regiment of Wood Green, N, reported wounded 8th November 1917 so I think with the address you have the right man. n addition there are no other G H Selley / Selly recorded. 

72596950-1CE3-4009-805B-B0751FAC30C9.jpeg

I'm sure your right ...and this certainly helpful information ...strange though he married as "Selley"!

5 minutes ago, Duffer said:

I'm sure your right ...and this certainly helpful information ...strange though he married as "Selley"!

Looking up Wood Green to see where this is ...it is indeed very close to Hornsey and the 1911 census states Hornsey Park Road. He also married in the parish of Hornsey ...so it seems to fit but strange he changed his name slightly.

I have just remembered that whilst messaging his grandson via Ancestry back in March he did indeed mention that "he was wounded in 1917 and his brother was killed in the same month"

So I think we have it sealed with your kind assistance ...we shall probably never know why his surname changed.

Thanks again for your kind help

Colin

ps. I will post the medal off to the elder living brother in Reigate. ...a happy ending ...good work thanks

2 hours ago, Duffer said:

Looking up Wood Green to see where this is ...it is indeed very close to Hornsey and the 1911 census states Hornsey Park Road. He also married in the parish of Hornsey ...so it seems to fit but strange he changed his name slightly.

I have just remembered that whilst messaging his grandson via Ancestry back in March he did indeed mention that "he was wounded in 1917 and his brother was killed in the same month"

So I think we have it sealed with your kind assistance ...we shall probably never know why his surname changed.

Thanks again for your kind help

Colin

ps. I will post the medal off to the elder living brother in Reigate. ...a happy ending ...good work thanks

Colin. It would appear that only the army records spell George's surname as 'Selly' with the civil documentation spelling it 'Selley'. As such, could it be that his name was incorrectly spelt when first written down on enlistment and this error then continued through all his military paperwork... the Medal, Medal Index Card and Medal Roll plus the War Officer Casualty incorrect spelling all stem from the same place. 

1 hour ago, Gunner 87 said:

Colin. It would appear that only the army records spell George's surname as 'Selly' with the civil documentation spelling it 'Selley'. As such, could it be that his name was incorrectly spelt when first written down on enlistment and this error then continued through all his military paperwork... the Medal, Medal Index Card and Medal Roll plus the War Officer Casualty incorrect spelling all stem from the same place. 

Its a possibility, certainly looks like it ...but looking thru a number of the post war electoral registers his surname changes (again this could be a typo)

Thanks

ColinG