Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1914/1915 star medal

Dave1340

Hi all. My mate found this medal metal detecting and I said I know a great forum that might shed some light on the owner. As you all helped me so greatly with Fred browns war badge. 
the writing on back is 

PTE A SJT T LAING
R HIGHRS

any info would be great he would like to return it to any family members 

cheers dave 

E69DBE52-1A5E-43D9-8606-7E52929914B9.jpeg.4e6f4be380e2da578967cee4ff33fc00.jpegAA2EE1FA-C1D2-432D-823D-D63C9352D2ED.jpeg.f029dc2b2f40e6ba4a96464b603abb0f.jpeg

• Admin

Hi Dave

Another great find.

Acting Sergeant Thomas Laing 1/7th (Fife) Battalion, Royal Highlanders (aka Black Watch) TF.

Was later re-numbered (TF) to 291194, which his Victory & British War Medals would be named.

Embarked for France on 24/10/1915 and was disembodied on 12/02/1919.

Regards

Russ

Hi Dave.

Thomas was reported as 'Wounded' in the Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry ) 03 December 1918, as attached. Can't locate any SWB though. 

regards Gunner 87.

F41476A2-6266-4100-B698-8C94158A87A5.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

• Admin

The useful find above tells us that Thomas Laing (or his family at least) resided in Leven when he enlisted.

Leven is in the County of Fife and so he evidently volunteered into his local TF Battalion - the 7th (Fife) Battalion, Royal Highlanders.

From his Service Numbers (4106/291194), I would put his enlistment date as April/May 1915.

So it would be worthwhile looking for a Thomas Laing in the 1911 Census, which might set you off on a further trail of discovery for living ancestors.

Regards

Russ

Well what can I say you lads are awesome thank you very much I’ll forward this to my mate. He found the medal in North Yorkshire so god nows how it got there 

Leven also exists in Yorkshire. between Beverley and Hornsea. any where near where it was found?

• Admin
6 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

Thomas was reported as 'Wounded' in the Weekly Casualty List (War Office & Air Ministry ) 03 December 1918

And he gets a mention in the 7th Battalion's Black Watch War Diary in a long list of casualties, stating that he was wounded on the 20th October 1918 whilst serving with D Company.

They recorded his Number slightly incorrectly as 29114 rather than 291194.

32 minutes ago, IPT said:

This could be how his medal ended up in North Yorkshire?

A fascinating find - the quoted enlistment date of May 1915 matches what I had estimated in an earlier post. That's apparently quite an amazing coincidence in that there is a Leven in Yorkshire, with such a seemingly relevant backstory, and a Leven in Fife where there was a TF drill hall for the 7th Battalion Black Watch which would be the natural choice for someone wishing to volunteer into his local Unit/Regiment.

Regards

Russ

Liang Casualty.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave1340 said:

Hi it was sinderby North Yorkshire where it was found mate 

Cheers, so 5 miles away from the farm he was living at in 1919.

18 minutes ago, IPT said:

Cheers, so 5 miles away from the farm he was living at in 1919.

wow that is only down the road must be him. trying understand the write up was it from a news paper mate

Edited by Dave1340

5 minutes ago, Dave1340 said:

wow that is only down the road must be him. trying understand the write up was it from a news paper mate

he was playing away then :(

Edited by Dave1340

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Dave1340 said:

was it from a news paper mate

It was from the Leven Advertiser & Wemyss Gazette 17th July 1919. So it's the Leven in Fife as I suspected - I thought I was going loopy with mention of a Leven in Yorkshire - that was just sheer coincidence and a red herring. But nevertheless there is a Yorkshire angle that does explain how the medal got lost. There is mention of a child - would be worth tracking down and then children beyond that perhaps,

There is also this from The Scotsman 7th July 1919.

Regards

Russ

The Scotsman 7th July 1919.jpg

9 hours ago, RussT said:

It was from the Leven Advertiser & Wemyss Gazette 17th July 1919. So it's the Leven in Fife as I suspected - I thought I was going loopy with mention of a Leven in Yorkshire - that was just sheer coincidence and a red herring. But nevertheless there is a Yorkshire angle that does explain how the medal got lost. There is mention of a child - would be worth tracking down and then children beyond that perhaps,

There is also this from The Scotsman 7th July 1919.

Regards

Russ

The Scotsman 7th July 1919.jpg

Cheers russ. You all amaze me how you find this stuff it’s brilliant 

cheers. I’ll pass his dirty deeds on to my mate *** 

dave