Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Burnley Express newspaper clip - have they named the KLR casualty incorrectly ?

davidbohl

Can anybody confirm my feelings this clip is regarding my casualty Pte #36213 Joseph Travis KLR CWGC incorrectly named George in the clip?

From the BNA

TravisJos_ExtraFamilyInfo_1917May05.png.693585ef320ca138b87ce2c33372086b.png

A cotton weaver in 1911

From Anc.TravisJos_1911.png.223cabe6330a2dbf33992a995ecfff96.png

Joseph married Sarah Ellen May Dixon in March 1916 in Burnley.

Many Thanks

Dave

• Admin

His SER record gives his wife as Sarah.

There is a Will but I couldn't say if it would help.

I would conclude it's the same man - there are far too many coincidences and no other possible/likely alternative candidates.

It's "strange" that at the end of the article it says he was married - yet we learn immediately at the beginning of the article that it is a notification received by his wife given that she is described as losing her husband. Whilst this is not in error, it is perhaps an indication by the journalist of a lack of attention to detail.

Search probate records for documents and wills (England and Wales) (probatesearch.service.gov.uk)

Regards

Russ

4 minutes ago, RussT said:

I would conclude it's the man

Thanks Russ, I'm quite happy to include the quoted details in his biography now, there is definitely no G. or George Travis on cwgc 

A wider date search for Travis deaths on CWGC for April 1917 would reinforce your theory of an error.  No likely George candidates.

7 hours ago, AndrewSid said:

A wider date search for Travis deaths on CWGC for April 1917 would reinforce your theory of an error

I've just looked at google maps and the Shaw Street address in the clip is only a stones throw from the address on her Pension record.

His Soldiers Effects and Pension were sent to widow Sarah Ellen May Travis, 2 Brown St. East, Colne.