Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mentioned In Dispatches

Allan1892

The  soldier that I am looking at was KIA on 22 August 1917. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour states that he was Mentioned In Dispatches -- can anyone point me in the right direction to try and find his MID?

2 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

The  soldier that I am looking at was KIA on 22 August 1917. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour states that he was Mentioned In Dispatches -- can anyone point me in the right direction to try and find his MID?

A name and number would probably help. 

The London gazette is always a good place to look 

8 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

...... "emblems" on MIC also confirms an actual award. Date of death and unit leads you to a War Diary start point which very, very occasionally mentions OR's by name. Date of death using Place of Enlistment mentioned on SDGW/Casualty Rolls is a start point for newspaper research.  Any relatives mentioned on any of the former is a better start point for newspaper research .......

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

A name and number would probably help. 

#238069 Sgt Alexander Ross of the Gordon Highlanders

15 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Like others, I find the LG difficult to search - have drawn a blank with my searches.

6 hours ago, TullochArd said:

..... "emblems" on MIC also confirms an actual award.

No notation on his MIC -- I'm starting to think that he wasn't mention in dispatches despite what was stated in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour entry.

23 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

238069 Sgt Alexander Ross of the Gordon Highlanders

MIC indicates an earlier GH number of 6879

And a possible Royal Highlanders / Black Watch number [not specified] = ??? Anything on this ???

M

I saw this Mr M -- medal rolls (courtesy of Ancestry) only show 6879 and 238069, no service number for the Royal Highlanders. Could he have just been on attachment? 

Medal Rolls.jpg

Could the man in question be the same man as "6884" Alexander Ross?

There is a medal index card for this man which indicates he was killed on 22nd August 1917. Also, his MIC denotes "emblems".

There is also a very nice article in De Ruvigny's roll of honour on him + a photograph. Then again, information in this roll is known to be wrong.

Hopefully, the above helps.

1 hour ago, naught91 said:

This individual appears to have been mentioned in several dispatches in October 1914 according to the Gazette, and was also subsequently awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions between 12 and 15 October 1914..

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28942/supplement/8356

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28945/page/8388

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29001/supplement/10546

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/12753/page/1553

Edited by Tawhiri
Added DCM entry in Gazette

1 hour ago, naught91 said:

There is a medal index card for this man which indicates he was killed on 22nd August 1917. Also, his MIC denotes "emblems".

There is also a very nice article in De Ruvigny's roll of honour on him + a photograph. Then again, information in this roll is known to be wrong.

Hopefully, the above helps.

Many, many thanks -- 6884 is the same man as 6879 and 238069. Names of parents and his wife on De Ruviny's are the same as details on the CWGC and are the same as family details that I already have.:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

This individual appears to have been mentioned in several dispatches in October 1914 according to the Gazette, and was also subsequently awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions between 12 and 15 October 1914..

Yes, he is the same man -- now to look at the war diaries in relation to his DCM and then look at the LG via the links that you have found for me.