Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Saunders, 2nd Yorkshire Regiment.

Hett65

On 19 November 1914 the following article appeared in a local newspaper.

Pte Saunders of the 2nd Yorkshire Regiment, a porter at Spennymoor, was a reservist called up on the August Bank Holiday, he has been in the thick of it in France.  He writes to the Spennymoor Station Master, 'We have lost a good many men but those of us left are still game, artillery on both sides is murderous. I have had a wash and shave today, the first for three weeks and I feel like a new man'.  PS 'Shells are bursting again, So Long'.

I have been unable to trace this man in army records, census and the AVL,, can anyone with knowledge of the 2/Yorks Reg assist me with this query?

Thanks 

John

Cannot help with Saunders at the moment as we have no first name

The 2nd Battalion Yorks left Guernsey at 10 am on Friday 28th August 14 in two steamers the Sarnia with A and B companies aboard

and C and D companies in the Vera

s-l1600.jpg.0a1cf543fe301105884ee14125b21a92.jpg

Maybe one of our naval experts can confirm the steamers identity  Sarnia or Vera from this postcard

Ray

Edit.  Further research by Gunner 87 indicates the above steamer is the Sarnia

Edited by RaySearching

2 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Cannot help with Saunders at the moment as we have no first name

The 2nd Battalion Yorks left Guernsey at 10 am on Friday 28th August 14 in two steamers the Sarnia with A and B companies aboard

and C and D companies in the Vera

s-l1600.jpg.0a1cf543fe301105884ee14125b21a92.jpg

Maybe one of our naval experts can confirm the steamers identity  Sarnia or Vera from this postcard

Ray

Hi Ray, Hett65.

Found photographs of both the 'Sarnia' and .'Vera' with the former certainly matching your image. I have looked at the losses for the 2 Battalion over the entire war and only one Saunders was killed and he didn't earn a Star so wasn't in theatre in 1914 or 1915. In short, we are probably looking for a soldier that survived or transferred from 2nd Battalion. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Ray and Gunner 87

Thanks to both for your input, I assumed he was not a casualty as he is not named on any local war memorials in my area.

John