Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bridge location- 22 Field Ambulance 7 Nov 1914?

David_Blanchard

I am attempting to find the location of the bridge mentioned in this extract from 22 FA on 7 November 1914.

The main FA was based at Brielen on 7 November but received orders to move to near Klein Zillebeke to assist with the wounded of the 22 Brigade under Brig Gen Lawton who had attacked that day under the orders of Lord Cavan based near Zwarteleen. 

Any help appreciated.

David 

85F287CD-EC5A-4FC4-8E32-9C79ED56E862.jpeg

I wonder if it's a reference to a bridge which spanned the canal between B.19.c and B.24.a in the vacinity of Pond Farm on the east bank. This location is around 3/4 mile north-east from the crossroads just south-east of Brielen. The presence of French soldiers and reference to being more than one bridge 'they were impassible by wheeled transport' would certainly suggest this area.

Edited by jay dubaya
To correct map ref

David

Pond Farm is on this map of Boesinghe at B 19 c 7 2. From the June 1915 WD of 1 Rifle Brigade, 11 IB, 4 Div. There is a map of Brielen earlier in the same WD but it does not show grid squares. 

TNA WO 95/1496. I will have another look I think I have seen some sketches.

Brian

1496.jpg

David

This map is from the July 1915 WD of 49 Div HQ GS, although it is marked 4 Div July 1915, and appears to show two bridges to the north of Pond and Morocco.

TNA WO 95/2765

Brian

2765.jpg

• Admin

If I understand it correctly the 22 infantry Brigade are going into action at Kleine Zillebeke.

So if our diary writer is on the road to Brielen, to get to somewhere near Kleine Zillebeke, the way is across the top of Ypres and then move in a south easterly direction.

The only bridge over water that they need to cross, that I can see is at grid; 28. I. 1.d.5.5. 

Edit here; It says that the Germans are shelling two bridges north of Ypres so the other bridge in my mind must be at grid; 28.I.7.a.6.3.

At he end of Davids WD extract a cross roads is mentioned, this to my mind must be at grid; 28. B.29.d.8.5.

Map courtesy of National library Scotland.

image.png.3c94f22fc4b1bac56a6d825f8b96695c.png

Edited by Bob Davies

4 Div RE took over in the area from the Canadian Engineers in May 1915 and one Section of 1 West Lancs Field Company was employed throughout May and June in preparing damaged bridges for demolition and repairing and building others. They also took over from the French in June. It is difficult to say where the November 1914 bridges were since they would have all been shelled and possibly replaced. I am trying to find out who was responsible for the bridge work in November 1914 but it was probably French Engineers. I will try the old favourites 5 and 28 Div RE.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

No info in the WDs of 7 Div CRE or 2 Div CRE about bridges.

This map is in the WD of 4 Guards Brigade, who were in 2 Div at that time, and the position marked C is roughly where 22 IB attacked on 07/11/1914.

TNA WO 95/1341.

The WD of 2 Div ADMS for 06/11/1914 has references to Ypres being bombarded and RAMC traffic should pass north of Ypres. I thought that the 7 Div RAMC convoy would take the same route as 2 Div RAMC but it does not mention bridges.

Brian

1341.jpg

Thanks Guys,

Just back from Bolton crematorium for Rob Thompson’s funeral service. He will be greatly missed by the Great War community.

I will look over your ideas tomorrow- thanks very much for the response.

David 

• Admin
20 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

I will look over your ideas tomorrow- thanks very much for the response.

An interesting picture from the IWM here for you David.  Described as;

'The road into Ypres from Brielen, showing carts, etc just thrown into the ditch after being broken by shell fire. 4th Division Batteries were in hedges on the left and right of this road and Royal Artillery Brigade Headquarters in a cottage just to the right.'

Edit; Taken in Oct/Nov 1914 but when exactly is anyones guess.

link; https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205306204

Edited by Bob Davies
To add a bit...

• Admin
33 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

Bob,

Another brilliant find,

Many thanks,

David 

It is a very interesting journey to help on David.

I typed Ypres 1914 into the search bar on the IWM page and quite a few pictures come up of Ypres and and the surrounding in the early months of the war. Taken by Sgt Christopher Pilkington and others. There are a number of pictures showing ambulance wagons in the areas you are looking into. Hooge Chateau still standing and many more.

After about page 9 the pictures then start to show 1915 and after scenes.

Here is the link, happy searching :Dhttps://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Ypres 1914

Re my earlier reference about the WD of 2 Div ADMS that traffic should move to the north of Ypres. This might be in connection with the evacuation of hospitals from Ypres, because of the shelling, to locations to the west of Ypres. 

Brian