Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sailor uniform ID request

Tinhat47

Ok, this might be a long shot and possibly not closely Great War-related.

I've come across this photo and have been asked to identify the uniforms/nationalities of the two sailors pictured. The styles of the women's clothing seems 1930s or 1940s, but the men seem older, possibly wearing their uniforms from World War I? Their hats look vaguely Royal Navy like, and the one on the right I feel I can just make out "HMS," but I can't find any country that had the plain white square rig, or identify the badge on the sailor on the left's arm, Any ideas or am I completely out the correct time period?

Wedding.jpg

Firstly, if this is WW2 then this will be locked. If it is, try WW2Talk
Secondly, all I can help with is the sailor on the far left with the 1 chevron, which is representing 4 years Good Conduct, I believe this was also done in other commonwealth countries like the RAN [Royal Australian Navy] and RNZN [Royal New Zealand Navy]. Not sure about the insignia on his cuff, I'm thinking its a watch, but it's probably something else.

That's all I can help with,
Zidane.

Mate,

I notice the silk is white when it should be black, is this a British thing for weddings?

The thing on the left sleve, I did think it mite be a wound stripe, but I've not seen any with the round thing on the end?

As for the tally I can't read it, so if RN then its possible.

All Comonweath Countries Navies dressed this way,  RN and yes RAN RNZN not to mention India, South Africa and the rest

Sorry

S.B

Most definitely RN uniform, with white tapes worn specially for weddings.
Agree that this looks later than WW1 era.

MB

The photo appears to show a rating wearing the RNPS M/S A/S badge on the end of a single two inch vertical wound stripe worn on the left cuff. Above that he has a single long service badge (chevron).

Taking everything into consideration, I’d have to date the photo to 1945, possibly an immediate post-war wedding.

MB

Thank you for your input, gentlemen! Feel free to delete this thread since it is indeed from a later time period.

Mates,

I am worried when you say post WWII?

As far As I know the wound stripe didn't get issued in WWII

So unless he was a long serving Sailor, where there is no details on his uniform to show that, I don't think so

I think its more post WWI then post WWII

S.B

• Admin

As this appears to be off topic, will lock it. Members are of course free to carry on correspondence via PM. 

• Michelle Young locked this topic