Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte CN Fleet (No 306186)

MickH

I am trying to do research on the above soldier. From his MIC and SWB roll it appears that he enlisted on 16th September 1919 and was discharged, due to sickness, on 3rd December 1919 (due to sickness) and “did not serve overseas”. However, his MIC clearly states that he was entitled to both the British War and Victory Medals, but I did not think you could qualify for the Victory medal for service in the UK?

Can anyone suggest anything? 

• Admin

Charles Norman Fleet is on the Tank Corps VM/BWM Medal Roll so he did earn those Medals as per his MIC.

His SWB Roll is made out incorrectly in regards to that matter.

Regards

Russ

Thanks guys. Helpful - could he possibly have qualified for his medals as a Sapper? (makes no sense though that they're named to the Tank Corps). 

Do you know if he was married, had children, address at all?

George

28 minutes ago, MickH said:

Thanks guys. Helpful - could he possibly have qualified for his medals as a Sapper? (makes no sense though that they're named to the Tank Corps). 

The RE men I've seen with near Tank Corps numbers only had RE home service, eg fortress companies etc. So in his case it should be his 1918 Tank Corps service that earned him medals.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

be his 1918 Tank Corps service

Appears only enlisted in 1919 though?

George

Charles Norman Fleet was born on 15/2/1895 (Weymouth) and died in late 1958 (buried Dorchester Cemetery). He married Dora Lydia Elsie Oliver in mid-1923.

I do have other details of his "personal life", it's his service career I'm particularly lacking on.

Mick

1 minute ago, George Rayner said:

Appears only enlisted in 1919 though?

But that is clearly wrong, as stated earlier. The SWB roll is source and yes there are other 1919 Attestations but they have much higher numbers which were issued indeed 1919.

3 minutes ago, MickH said:

I do have other details of his "personal life", it's his service career I'm particularly lacking on.

That's ok-just trying to remove somebody from list.

George

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

But that is clearly wrong, as stated earlier.

Yes just checking that we are accepting Tank Corps medal roll as source to work from

George