Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bussus?

Anthony Ewen

The war diaries for 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers for 22nd August 1916 refers to the men being withdrawn from the front at Guillemont and moved to Bussus via Happy Valley.  I can't find a reference to Bussus on maps.  Can anyone help with a location?

31 minutes ago, Anthony Ewen said:

The war diaries for 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers for 22nd August 1916 refers to the men being withdrawn from the front at Guillemont and moved to Bussus via Happy Valley.  I can't find a reference to Bussus on maps.  Can anyone help with a location?

I think its full name is Bussus - Bussell which you can find on Google maps. It is on the D153, 11 km East of Abbeville.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Having looked at the relevant diary I can't find any mention of Bussus until 5th September. On 22nd August they moved to camp at Happy Valley before moving again on 25th to Thunderstorm Camp near Dernancourt. and then marched to camp near Fricourt on 30th.

Edited by jay dubaya

I think the Happy Valley referred to is between Mametz and Bray Sur Somme. 17 Infantry Brigade were relieved by 61 Infantry Brigade of 20 Div. The WD of 61 IB for August 1916 has Op Order 116 which gives the coordinates for Happy Valley as south from centre F 26 & 27 to L 3 a and c. 

There were a number of camps around there, I will see if I can find this one.

Brian

Many thanks for the prompt and very helpful replies - I am very grateful

Tony

Tony

I came to the same conclusion as JD above. On 06/09 the Bn entrained at Buire for Longpre and marched to Bussus. It is the one Terry mentions. The location of  Thunderstorm Camp is F 8 d 4 4. Just below Happy Valley.

Brian 

Thanks for this further information Brian and I have now plotted the movements on a modern atlas.  We are tracing the involvement of Frederick William Reed of the Fusiliers whose service record is amongst those that were destroyed but we have made journeys to cover his time in the actions on the River Aisne and then at La Chapelle d'Armentieres and then around Ypres and Poperinge.  This information will enable us to 'flesh out' his time at the Somme.

Again, I'm very grateful for the time and trouble answering my request.

Tony

Tony

My mistake on my previous post. Square F 8 is, of course, north of Happy Valley not south of it. This 1916 NLS map shows Happy Valley in square L 3.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101465323 

The WD of 17 Infantry Brigade identified the camp at F 8 d 4 4

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Thanks again Brian - that's marvellous and much appreciated

Tony

There is a Bussus at 62c.M.12.c.31.61, found simply by putting Bussus into Advanced Search in TrenchMapper.

You can also find Happy Valley the same way.

Howard

Thanks for this Howard - much appreciated

Tony

Tony, if this is the correct Bussus, then Guillemont via Happy Valley makes sense.  Guillemont is over 1km NW of Combles (visible near map top right).  Click to enlarge map.

image.png.9e910eee2464f6c9fa8fd497de5f537c.png

Thanks very much for this - helps to clarify no end.

I’m very grateful for all the interest and help.

Tony