The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery piece

Peterhastie

Designed to be carried by pack mules.

On 29/03/2023 at 08:56, ianjonesncl said:

Designed to be carried by pack mules.

Thankyou Ianjonesncl.

So, a reasonable assumption would be that the men in the photo were part of a Mountain Battery of the RGA and the photo was taken 1917 or later?

Edited by Peterhastie

Mountain Batteries were part of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

@FROGSMILE or @GWF1967 may be able to date the uniforms.

Re

46 minutes ago, ororkep said:

Obviously post 1923 with the lanyards on the right side and the collar granades.

So may be Royal Artillery if after 1924.

RFA & RGA amalgamated back to RA in 1924.

On 30/03/2023 at 11:49, ianjonesncl said:

Mountain Batteries were part of the Royal Garrison Artillery.

@FROGSMILE or @GWF1967 may be able to date the uniforms.

Re

Lanyards switched shoulder in 1920 and collar badges were adopted at the same time as the modified service dress jacket in 1924.  In 1926 the old universal grenade collar badge (regulation since 1881) was replaced by the new and discrete RA pattern with UBIQUE scroll beneath.

It’s a transitional period image and we can narrow down the date of the photo in accordance with unification RA dress regulations, as after 1924 and before 1926, give or take however long it took to get new specification stocks to units.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Peter, have you any idea as to where this photograph was taken?

And while I'm here - this is a useful handbook relating to this gun; see https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entity=IE5570401&mode=browse

No idea where the photo was taken, here’s the full image and in relation to this man, Joseph Harrison or Alfred Joseph Harrison as I think he changed his name in memory of his brother who died in May 1914. The family was from Sutton-in-Ashfield. I’ve been unable to definitively connect him to a serviceman.

A4C98CED-8BC5-4D47-9BC5-6585F07623A4.jpeg

926E5938-E161-4527-A30F-7FCFD2BCE5C0.jpeg

Edited by Peterhastie

1 hour ago, Peterhastie said:

No idea where the photo was taken, here’s the full image and in relation to this man, Joseph Harrison or Alfred Joseph Harrison as I think he changed his name in memory of his brother who died in May 1914. The family was from Sutton-in-Ashfield. I’ve been unable to definitively connect him to a serviceman.

A4C98CED-8BC5-4D47-9BC5-6585F07623A4.jpeg

926E5938-E161-4527-A30F-7FCFD2BCE5C0.jpeg

We can also date that final photograph, too Peter.  “In 1929 all bandoliers were handed in to store, and belts, waist, B.E.Leather issued instead.”

Edited by FROGSMILE

Great input there on those uniform details Frogsmile! I'll contact you direct or post on GWF a mystery family photograph I now realise is probably a WW1 RGA member!

Julian

47 minutes ago, trajan said:

Great input there on those uniform details Frogsmile! I'll contact you direct or post on GWF a mystery family photograph I now realise is probably a WW1 RGA member!

Julian

Please go ahead Julian, either option is fine.

16 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Please go ahead Julian, either option is fine.

Thanks - one I get caught up with all the missed weapon's posts I'll do one or t'other!

Julian