Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Welsh/Welch Regiment - Help with Regimental history

AndrewSid

I am rather keenly searching for the history of a Battalion of the Regiment in the First World War.  I’ve searched high a low for the full Regimental History for their service.  Like many Regiments they raised a large number of Battalions for the war and served across numerous Theatres.  My previous research has always led me to a comprehensive regimental history, often dusty, sometimes expensive and occasionally reprinted and more often than not written in the 1920s by a Regimental Colonel or such.   For this Regiment I cannot find such a document.  There are a few single battalion books and those that cover the periods  pre and post war, for WW1 I can find nothing.   A request for additional brain power is therefore offered. 

They are not to be confused with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers or South Wales Borderers who were, of course,  different Regiments. 

Any thoughts or help please.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/welsh-regiment/

Which specific battalion are you referring to? I know there are histories of the 11, 14 and 15 battalions but I can't think of any others - though I might have missed some! 

I think there was a website regarding the 17 battalion, too. Not sure if it's still running...

You'll know that Marden's history mentions all the battalions (more or less) but that doesn't equal a specific unit history, of course.

Bernard 

Bernard,

Thank you so much for replying.  It’s actually the 11th that I’m after.  Could you kindly point me in the direction of the publication?  

Andy

It is available on the web but - as far as I can see - at £30. It's 102 pages long, 25 of which comprise the Roll of Honour. I think quite a bit of it is culled from the Press (nothing wrong with that) but it is written in a staccato manner - lots of little snippets/ items. 

If you have a simple look up requirement, I could have a quick look. But it's not indexed so I couldn't guarantee 100% accuracy.

Bernard 

IMG_20230328_225831205.jpg

IMG_20230328_225845639.jpg

Thanks Bernard.  I will drop you a quick PM if i may. 

👍 Fine. I might not reply until tomorrow evening, though. 

Bernard