Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wilfred Herbert Moody

Flora

Please could someone help me to find out which regiment my great uncle would have been in and what he might have done in WW1 based on this information about a medal? He survived the war but suffered from the effects of being gassed but I have no idea of his war story. This is all I have found (that is linked to his time in the military) so I would appreciate anyone who could give me any more help. Many thanks 

81A065F5-C69E-4A7C-A529-8FA6B57D9554.png

Wilfred Moody first served with the 4th Battalion (1/4) of the Yorkshire Regiment before being transfered to the Labour Corps

He entered the theater of war 19/10/1915 and was demobilised on the 30/6/1919 (source Mic)

He would have been entitled to and awarded the 15 Star, Victory Medal and the British war medal

Bill Danbys website will give you a feel of the actions Wilfred was engaged in during his time with the 4th Yorks

Ray

Wilfred Moody has a Western  Front Association /fold three, pension ledger card

born 1897 from East Side Northallerton  Wilfred recieved a pension, the last payment  was made up till 22/4/1922

based on his Labour Corps service number 380057 one of our forum pals may  be able to give you an approximate date when he was transfered to the labour corps

Many thanks for your help. This is probably a silly question but is there anyway of knowing which actions he was engaged in during his 4 years? I know many records were burnt in the fire so I presume this is why it is challenging?

Without his service records we would not know for sure, he may have had periods of sickness  which would have taken him out of the front line

Have you clicked on the link I posted earlier which shows the 4th battalions actions during the war

Ray

13 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Labour Corps service number 380057 one of our forum pals may  be able to give you an approximate date when he was transfered to the labour corps

The number was issued between September + November 1917.    Ref. "No Labour, No Battle"

BillyH.

2 hours ago, BillyH said:

The number was issued between September + November 1917.    Ref. "No Labour, No Battle"

Thanks for that BillyH

Helps a lot with the timeline of Wilfred for Flora

Ray

Moody has 3 numbers quoted on the medal rolls.

On the BWM/VM roll he has his Labour Corps number 380057 and his previous Yorkshire number 200486. This second number would fit with a 1914 enlistment to the Territorial Force where he would have first had a 4digit number, 2xxx, that was then renumbered along with all other TF men to a 6 digit number in early 1917.

The odd number is that appearing on the 14/15 Star roll in the initial post, 416179.

I cannot make sense of this. Can anyone else?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

His Pension ledger card 

gives the following numbers

His labour corps number 380057

His service number when the Yorks battalion were renumbered 200486

His original Yorks number  2238

MoodyWilfred(3800572004862238)(1).jpg.f0c4251974f49a2f2fe4662d31cf6ec6.jpg

9 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

His original Yorks number  2238

Thanks, that fits with my thinking above.

But what of this number 416179? I thought perhaps a transcript error eg 4/6179 or just 16179 but this didn't get me anywhere.

10 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

But what of this number 416179? I thought perhaps a transcript error eg 4/6179 or just 16179 but this didn't get me anywhere.

Well spotted , although  I am just as baffled as you

Ray