Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

5965 Rfn. George Frisby Phillips. London Irish Rifles.

high wood

In 1911, 27 year old George Frisby Phillips was living with his brothers and sister at 34 Durham Road, Philip Lane, South Tottenham, and working as a merchant's Clerk.

On the 12th March 1916, at the age of 32, he married Annie Amelia Elizabeth Brereton. Called up to play his part in the Great War, he enlisted as Rfn. 5965 in the 1/18th Btn, (County of London Regiment). (London Irish Rifles). Shortly before going overseas he and his wife were photographed with George in his new uniform. They sent the attached photograph to an unknown friend or relalative on the 20th January 1917.

George served with both the 1/18th and 2/18th battalions before transferring to the 6th battalion Connaught Rangers, as Pte. 29833. George survived the war and returned home to his wife having been released Class Z. A.R. on the 30th April 1919.

P1040726.JPG

P1040722.JPG

G F Phillips medal roll.jpg

G F Phillips wedding.jpg

No accounts remain of how they enjoyed married life or how their careers prospered over the years between the wars but fate was yet to play its hand.

I have owned this particular post card for about twenty years and yesterday I was sorting through my London Regiment album and decided to re research some of the post cards that never got past the identifying the soldier phase.

I was quite moved when I discovered what had happened to them and thought that their story should be shared.

The attached notices are from the C.W.G.C. 1939-45 Civilian War Dead records. Photographs courtesy of Ancestry.

Annie Amelia Phillips.jpg

George F Phillips.jpg

Edited by high wood
Clarification

From the 1939 register, via Ancestry.

image.jpeg.bf14017f23d4d3832ce82417b114e63c.jpeg

George had a brother who served as No. 75953 with 29th Canadian Infantry. He was KiA on 26/09/1916, and is remembered on the Vimy memorial.

Simon, 

many thanks for the extra information. I wasn't aware of his brother's military service and will look further into it.

With regard to George and Annie's death, the 28th August 1944 date would suggest a V1 rocket rather than a standard bombing raid. A quick search of the CWGC shows only one other civilian death occuring in Hackney on the same day. There were 31 deaths in London as a whole on that day, 9 of which occured in the Kennington Oval, Kennington Park Road area.

Real shame. Am glad that if they had to go they went together. Just plain unlucky.

Simon 

Did you notice that their ages do not match? On their marriage paperwork they both gave their ages as being 32. But the CWGC information after they died gives 66 and 61 respectively. It turns out that he was born in 1884, and she in 1878, so it was her who told a porky at the time of her marriage. I note that both her parents were dead by the time of her marriage.

I wonder if they thought it 'wrong' him marrying an older woman.

Simon

In those days it was seen by some as less respectable for a man to marry an older woman & a clue to this is often as this case the  same age of both bride & groom on the certificate. Usually the lady reducing her age but I have seen examples where the age given is chosen to be midway between the real ages.

Edited by travers61