Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Boomerang

kelly

Good evening all

Are there any members who could provide me with the "X & Y" co-ordinates for the Boomerang at Gully Ravine please

I think I know its position but would like to confirm

Regards

Garry

Hi Garry, is this a different question from your previous thread?  There were a few answers given - what additional information do you seek?

Cheers, Bill

9 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi Garry, is this a different question from your previous thread?  There were a few answers given - what additional information do you seek?

As Bill has indicated, there are already on the GWF some very good clues as to the position of this Turkish redoubt. For example https://gwfattachments.s3.amazonaws.com/post-7070-1153382677.jpg and https://gwfattachments.s3.amazonaws.com/post-1114-1153429026.jpg

Here are a couple more using the Turkish 1916 (post-evac) maps

image.jpeg.e8f7cd79331fce92949e49da11dd4f68.jpeg

Below is an enlargement relating to the Boomerang Redoubt

image.jpeg.31d2ece8fc7b585828bda54c1c68f1bc.jpeg

I hope that this helps

14 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Below is an enlargement relating to the Boomerang Redoubt

The map Michael refers to has been georeferenced in TrenchMapper.  Click to enlarge each image.  The modern address and lat, lon is shown, bearing in mind that the Redoubt occupied an area rather than a specific location.  I've put the pin towards the southern end of Michael's circle, which is around 70 metres diameter.

Name: Aggregate of 43 Post Evacuation Turkish Maps
Scale: 1:5,000. Edition: 1916 1915
Turkish Mapping Directorate, Brig-Gen Mehmet Sevki Pasa

image.png.f48684947c9417e40911f5e4d34d728b.png

image.png.76add96ee552a332f76c01f2199da43f.png

On 23/03/2023 at 04:56, WhiteStarLine said:

Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill

Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill

I've been to Gallipoli a couple of times and whilst I have enjoyed the tours immensely I have come to realise how much my family tree and especially my grandad's part being in "B" company, 1st Border Regiment is properly documented, hence the need to have an accurate location. I'm now trying to determine from which direction he attacked from

Regards

Cheers, Bill

Hi, as said to Bill I'm trying to get the best location of the Boomerang as possible for inclusion in the family tree I'm building

Regards

• 3 weeks later...