Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How many TFWM were awarded to the 1/5th Welsh?

GMB

Hi All,

I am trying (unsuccessfully) to pin down how many TFWM were awarded to the Battalion. I have gone through the medal roll, but a number are noted as just "Welsh Regt", I want to see err on the side of caution and not take those numbers as fact.

Has anyone ever completed a review?

Thanks in advance

32 officers 188 men total 220 for the Regiment. Not yet finalised Battalion numbers. Those with Battalion number not noted anywhere, may be identified by the TF  six figure Renumbering for the 1/5th Bn  VIZ;240,O01 TO 265,000. Best w, Headmaster 

Many thanks, appreciate it - stupid question, is 220 for the whole of the Welsh Regiment (noting the 1/4th were also a TF)? Or just the 1/5th?

The number of 32 officers and  188 men are for TFWMs awarded in total, to the Welsh Regiment. A number of awards only give Welsh R, not the Battalion. Use of the 6 figure numbering can indicate  other potential  Territorial Bn men in 1/4th and 1/5th Bns . In other regiments processed already, some are noted as awarded TFWMs, in Service and regular Bns as well.

best w, Headmaster

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Howard - I have just gone through the TFWM medal roll for the Welsh (WO/329/3264) and picked out the 1/5th from their six figure renumbering. I have made a note of the names and numbers so drop me a line if you need them (although I very much doubt this is the final figure).

Cheers

Gavin

Edited by GMB