Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Border Regiment

CROONAERT

Hi Andrew ,

no mention of him on SDGW either, so he probably did survive. Do you know anything else about him, such as which battalion, etc? This'd help me to search, otherwise, I'd have to plough through the entire history on the off chance that there may be a mention. Chances are, though, that ,unless he earned a gallantry award, or did something to get himself a mention in a War Diary, there wouldnt be any reference to him at all.

Sorry,

Dave. :(

Hi Dave

I checked 'Glory is no compensation' about the 1st & 6th Border Regiments and he was not listed as serving with them on Gallipoli.

Being an early enlistment I had assumed that he might have been with the 1st or 2nd Border Regiment.

I'll try and dig up more info. If he came back to live here after the war I will hopefully be able to find out some more.

Unfortunately when I requested his service record from the National Archives of Australia I was expecting that it would have more material, but it was just a single sheet of paper with the details I posted earlier.

I'll get back to you if I find the exact battalion he was with

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Dave,

I would like to know if there are any reports on Captain Tom Drysdale Miller M.C.

He died om Saturday 21st October 1916 aged 28

"A" Coy. 8th Bn., Border Regiment

thanks,

Sarah

Sarah.

The following two posts are for 21st October 1916. Capt.Miller, as you can see, is reported as having been in command of "C" Coy. that day.

Dave.

post-16-1076368618.jpg

...and...

post-16-1076368695.jpg

Capt. Miller is also mentioned as commander of "C" Coy on 1st July 1916...

post-16-1076369226.jpg

...and is also mentioned in the section on the formation of the battalion...

post-16-1076369316.jpg

Thanks for the info Dave, much appreciated!

Was also wondering if there is any way of finding out the reason for the M.C. he was awarded. (Captain Miller)

And do you know of any sites telling of what the 8 Bn., Border Regiment did....

Thanks again!

Sarah

Captain Miller was my Great Great Uncle. I have seen letters written to his parents upon his death and have decided i want to know more.

Was also wondering if there is any way of finding out the reason for the M.C. he was awarded. (Captain Miller)

And do you know of any sites telling of what the 8 Bn., Border Regiment did....

Sarah.

To find out about Gt Gt Uncle's MC, I'd first check out the London Gazette. There is a website. Click HERE for the gazette website. This should give you his reference and date that he was gazetted for the MC, giving a rough idea of the date when he earned it - a couple of months previous. If you're really lucky, it may also contain his citation, giving the exact reasons of his award. Failing that we can always look in the Regimental History again for any clues once we have a rough date.

I don't know of any websites specific to the 8th Bn, but the mother-site to this forum will give you a general (within the division) idea. The only thing I can think of that goes into greater detail is the History itself (which is available from the N&MP for about £22 in re-print form - they have a website, or possibly the Regimental Museum at Carlisle Castle).

Dave.

(Good luck, and if you can get a specific date for his award, get back to me.)

Hello Dave,

I found the info in the Gazette thanks to your recomendation. It was in the 25th August 1916 Supplement to the London Gazette, no. 8463 Page 11.

address : tom miller

Thanks for all your help and i will notify you if i find anything else out!

Sarah

Sarah.

After reading his citation in the Gazette and noting the date of issue, I'd assume that his MC wasn't for any single action, rather a result of several incidents between (I'm guessing here) April and June 1916. It was a reletively quiet period for the 8th at this point, but they had several stints in the line. This is what the history has to say for this period....

Dave.

post-16-1076548343.jpg

Dave,

Could you look up for me the 2nd Bn Border Regt on 1 July 1916? I believe they were involved in the 7th Division's attack on Mametz. Anything would be appreciated.

Chris

Chris.

The next 3 posts are for you.....

post-16-1077149885.jpg

post-16-1077149951.jpg

...and 3...

post-16-1077150002.jpg

• 1 month later...
Anyone needing any "look -ups" from this Regtl. History, let me know.

Dave.

:rolleyes: I know it nigh on a Year on,but if still looking,would your Border History carry any mention of QMS William Farra{Later Lt:QM}6th Bn;then 19th Nothumberland Fus}Had served throughout the South Africa War{Boer;1899~1902}{Q & K Medals},1st Bn;1914,Recalled or Volunteered for Return to Service with the Borders posted to 6th Bn;Gallipoli,Somme.Commisioned 1917,discharged Wounds {1914~1915 Star BWM.AVM.SWB}Here's Hoping Thanks!

Hi Dave,On my page I have asked for info about the 1st Borders on 6th April 1916

Pte J.W .Jeffs is wifes grt.Grandfather amonst 13 burials in Oceanvillers Com.Cem

I understand a hurricane bombardment accounted for them in Tipperarey Avenue

communication trench (off 1st Avenue by Newfoundland Park) Somme,would be

greatful for anything to add. Regards Martyn Newell

border regiment

Hi Dave,

Another request !

Can you let me have info for 7th Bn. around 23rd April, 1917 and 5th Bn. around 11th July, 1915.

Cheers.

Andy.

I know it nigh on a Year on,but if still looking,would your Border History carry any mention of QMS William Farra{Later Lt:QM}6th Bn;then 19th Nothumberland Fus}Had served throughout the South Africa War{Boer;1899~1902}{Q & K Medals},1st Bn;1914,Recalled or Volunteered for Return to Service with the Borders posted to 6th Bn;Gallipoli,Somme.Commisioned 1917,discharged Wounds {1914~1915 Star BWM.AVM.SWB}Here's Hoping Thanks!

Just one mention....

Battle of Messines, 1917....

Dave.

post-16-1082840810.jpg

Andy.

7th Border 23rd April 1917.... (nothing mentioned about 5/Border on 11 july 1915 apart from to say that between June and August 1915, they were in relatively quiet areas aroun Armentiers).

Dave.

post-16-1082841088.jpg

I know it nigh on a Year on,but if still looking,would your Border History carry any mention of QMS William Farra{Later Lt:QM}6th Bn;then 19th Nothumberland Fus}Had served throughout the South Africa War{Boer;1899~1902}{Q & K Medals},1st Bn;1914,Recalled or Volunteered for Return to Service with the Borders posted to 6th Bn;Gallipoli,Somme.Commisioned 1917,discharged Wounds {1914~1915 Star BWM.AVM.SWB}Here's Hoping Thanks!

Just one mention....

Battle of Messines, 1917....

Dave.

Superb,Many Thanks He's like an Old Friend,Ive had his Group since 1960s!!!Nice to see He got a Mention in the History!Regards Roger{HBMCDCM} :rolleyes:

Hi Dave,On my page I have asked for info about the 1st Borders on 6th April 1916

Pte J.W .Jeffs is wifes grt.Grandfather amonst 13 burials in Oceanvillers Com.Cem

I understand a hurricane bombardment accounted for them in Tipperarey Avenue

communication trench (off 1st Avenue by Newfoundland Park) Somme,would be

greatful for anything to add. Regards Martyn Newell

border regiment

Martyn.

Nothing of note to add from the history, but it says that it was around Amplier (20 miles SE of Doullens from the end of March untill April, when it moved to Acheux.

Dave.

• 3 months later...

I am researching my family history and have come across my ggggreat uncle who served in the 11th Bn Border Regiment. He was 27744 Pte Farmer F(red). Can anybody expand on his military career. I'm lead to believe he served in Gallipoli before moving to the Western Front and eventually dying on the Somme in Nov 1916. Can anyone help me further.

Many thanks