Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Border Regiment

CROONAERT

...and 2...

post-16-1058651276.jpg

Andrew,

Nothing really mentioned for the 2nd Battalion between 20th April1916 and July 1st 1916. The below is just about all that is mentioned (relief 20th April)... Sorry I can't be any more conclusive,

Dave

post-16-1058651904.jpg

Sir Reginald Blomfield was one of the IWGC architects.............some relation perhaps?

Thanks for that, Andy. I thought the name was familiar.

However, (I haven't done any research on 2/Lt. Blomfield), the initial also strikes me as if I should know him. As I said, I don't know what the "V" stands for, but the name "Victor Blomfield" rings a lot of bells. Any ideas?

Dave (still puzzled) ;)

Dave,

A response and a scan within a few minutes of asking the question! It would appear that 'my' man was one of those unfortunates on the receiving end of a tragedy whilst in a so-called quiet period.

Thanks ever so much for looking this up.

Andrew

Andrew.

I've just had a "re-read". It wasn't such a quiet period after all... (the section in the history is entitled "raids")...

post-16-1058662809.jpg

post-16-1058662891.jpg

...and (finally) ,3...

post-16-1058662978.jpg

Dave -

Many many thanks for this look up! Sorry for the tardy thanks, but I've been on holiday and am just working my way through unread messages - 9 pages!!

Sheesh!!

Thanks again

Simon

• 2 months later...

Dave-could you find the Lonsdale Battalion unit history for 1st July 1916-my great grandfather Pte John Farrer was a Lonsdale who was killed that morning.

I would like to compare with the info I have in my article in his memory on Hellfire Corner as it was not researched from the unit history directly.

I have only just joined this forum,so apologies for the late request. I am very interested in all aspects of the Lonsdales history and always like to add to my sources.

Regards

Spike

post-16-1064397121.jpg

Spike.

These are the pages relevant to the Lonsdales on 1st July...

Dave.

(Page 1)

post-16-1064258830.jpg

...page 2...

post-16-1064258938.jpg

...and,finally,, 3...

post-16-1064258998.jpg

Dave

Thanks very much-the info is much appreciated. Not wanting to push it-but have you anything on the trench raid of June (5th ,I think) 1916 by Lt Barnes and a squad of Lonsdales on the area known as the Granatloch.

Thanks

Spike

Spike.

Your wish is my command...

post-16-1064348617.jpg

...and 2...

post-16-1064348661.jpg

Thanks once again Dave,

I've filed your info with my other stuff on the Lonsdales.

Lieutenant Barnes according to one of my sources -was killed returning to no- mans land to retrieve a revolver he had lost in the raid. A terrible waste, don't you think?

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Spike :D

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Do you have the battalion history for the 11th Border Regiment for July 9th 1916?

I've just read Blindfold and Alone-about the capital courts martials of the war and other disciplinary matters and in there was a passage about the Lonsdales.After suffering badly on July 1st-some survivors apparently refused to go on a trench raid(30 out of 90 reported sick),and their medical officer agreed they were unfit,due to their grevious losses only 9 days previous.

The net result was the Medical officer was discharged,and the men were sent on a raid-but they were reported to have" been reluctant to fully participate" by the officers(most of whom were new to the Battalion,due to losses incurred).

I am just curious as to if the Battalion History has mention of this-as a book I have based on the Battalion history does not-

The Lonsdale Battalion 1914-1918 by Colin Bardgett.

Regards

Spike

Sorry Spike. I can't help you there.

There's no specific mention of this date in the history. The page that is nearest, you already have ("page 2" of my posting on Sept.22nd) where it mentions the Lonsdales being relieved on the night of 3/4th July and playing no further part.

You might be best off seeing if the Bn war diary mentions it?

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I have been able to find no other mention of such an incident anywhere.In fact most accounts suggest the Battalion was resting during the period.

I kinda suspect the book in question was badly researched in this matter,though it does "namedrop" a 2nd Lieutenant Ross who was an officer at the time.

Still,things can be covered by the mists of time-and some never let that get in the way of a good story.

regards

Spike

I agree with you there, Spike. To be honest, you can find innacuracies in most books written about the war, with different people seeing the same events differently, etc., and using different sources.

Who knows - "Blindfold and Alone" might be correct, and the Regimental History might be wrong!!!! (Doubtful, but possible <_< )

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

John (from the WFA forum), this is for you (2/borders at Festubert)...

Dave.

(page 1 of 3)...

post-16-1066522788.jpg

post-16-1066522901.jpg

...and 3...

post-16-1066522982.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave

Could you check your information on the Border Reg on the off chance this individual is mentioned?

EJ McCarthy was an Imperial Army Reservist and was living in Fremantle, Western Australia when was was declared.

The only piece of paper that I have on him has him joining up in the 5th Military District(Western Australia) for service in the Border Regiment.

He joined on the 10/08/14 and his unit was the Border Regiment. His service number was 8335 and his rank on enlistment L/Cpl.

His next of kin was his wife of Onslow Rd South Fremantle WA.

I've checked CWGC and can find no trace of him so have assumed that he survived the war.

Thanks

Andrew