Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Soldiers

Richard Birs

Hi Ladies and gentlemen.I’m in trouble with my research into two WW1 Soldiers. I’ve tried all I know via Ancestry and Family Search,including Google. Which obviously my knowledge is not enough. So can anyone point me in the right direction?

Chusto ( I can’t even find where the name comes from) Kaster Cotleigh Road West Hampstead. In November 1917 he was in Belgium. I’ve tried South African  soldiers but no joy. Cannot find in any Census or voting or death.

next look’s easy but after two months I’m nowhere.Perce Huntley Green Hill Road Winchester Hampshire. In August 1918, He was in Camp Rouan France.So possibly a reinforcement.

Have tried Percivel Percy. Nothing, Addressed to Mr & Mrs HC Huntley have tried Harry Henry ,and Herbert nothing.

Any advice on where I’m going wrong please advise Thanks Richard.

It’s on the On Active Service postcard he sent.

I've got a John and Harold Huntley living at 7 Nuns Road, Hyde, Winchester but no Percy.

The Winchester War Service Record which lists over 3000 Winchester men who served does not list Percy Huntley. 

I'll keep looking when I've got more time. 

It's Greenhill Road. All one word. 

It's in the Fulflood area of the city.

Which number is it?

47 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Thanks Richard, can we possibly wee a copy of his signature?

Regards,

Alf McM

If you give email no problem but not sure how to do on site?

39 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I've got a John and Harold Huntley living at 7 Nuns Road, Hyde, Winchester but no Percy.

The Winchester War Service Record which lists over 3000 Winchester men who served does not list Percy Huntley. 

I'll keep looking when I've got more time. 

No 11 looks like one wordGreenhill Road Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Which number is it?

11 all won word

58 minutes ago, Chris_Baker said:

For clarification, please. Is it Perce Huntley of Green Hill Road, or Perce Huntley Green of Hill Road?

It’s Perce Huntley of  11 Greenhill Road

30 minutes ago, Richard Birs said:

If you give email no problem but not sure how to do on this medium 

3 hours ago, Richard Birs said:

Hi Ladies and gentlemen.I’m in trouble with my research into two WW1 Soldiers. I’ve tried all I know via Ancestry and Family Search,including Google. Which obviously my knowledge is not enough. So can anyone point me in the right direction?

Chusto ( I can’t even find where the name comes from) Kaster Cotleigh Road West Hampstead. In November 1917 he was in Belgium. I’ve tried South African  soldiers but no joy. Cannot find in any Census or voting or death.

next look’s easy but after two months I’m nowhere.Perce Huntley Green Hill Road Winchester Hampshire. In August 1918, He was in Camp Rouan France.So possibly a reinforcement.

Have tried Percivel Percy. Nothing, Addressed to Mr & Mrs HC Huntley have tried Harry Henry ,and Herbert nothing.

Any advice on where I’m going wrong please advise Thanks Richard.

Was your man Chusto born in 1901, FMP has a C Kaster, aged 20 leaving Liverpool for Canada in 1921. Enroute to Halifax Nova Scotia aboard the Blue Star Line, Carmania...

7 minutes ago, exXIX said:

Was your man Chusto born in 1901, FMP has a C Kaster, aged 20 leaving Liverpool for Canada in 1921. Enroute to Halifax Nova Scotia aboard the Blue Star Line, Carmania...

No idea of age but by the card I’d say it was sent to his wife so probably older. I found C Kaster arriving by boat I think from South Africa but notes not to hand. But C might be anything yours. R

1 hour ago, Alan24 said:

Which number is it?

Scan or photograph card and save. choose files at bottom of page . go to where scan or photo is saved ans clic open and it will appear.

Sorry, but I find your initial post somewhat confusing, and I'm unsure what you've searched so far.

There were zero male birth registrations with the surname 'Kaster' in England or Wales from 1837 to the end of the nineteenth century.

And only 3 in the 20th century.

There is no Medal Index Card to the surname 'Kaster'

Was he born abroad? In South Africa or Canada, seeing as these two countries have been mentioned?

If you post a good quality image of the card, front and back, we'll see what can be deduced.

4 hours ago, Richard Birs said:

No 11 looks like one word Greenhill Road 

In 1911 the family living at no 11 were named White.

Who is the card addressed to? How does it start...dear mother, dear sister...etc.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Sorry, but I find your initial post somewhat confusing, and I'm unsure what you've searched so far.

There were zero male birth registrations with the surname 'Kaster' in England or Wales from 1837 to the end of the nineteenth century.

And only 3 in the 20th century.

There is no Medal Index Card to the surname 'Kaster'

Was he born abroad? In South Africa or Canada, seeing as these two countries have been mentioned?

If you post a good quality image of the card, front and back, we'll see what can be deduced.

Yes have checked most of what you’re saying. I found a C Kaster who arrived from South Africa, but was unable to follow up to find his Christian name. I’m sorry but I don’t know how to post a picture on this sight but can email if you give me yours thanks R.

36 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

In 1911 the family living at no 11 were named White.

Who is the card addressed to? How does it start...dear mother, dear sister...etc.

Yes I couldn’t find them at the address. The card reads as follows Mr & Mrs H C Huntley 11 Greenhill Rd Winchester Hants England.

Dearest M& H Just a card trusting you are having e right Royal times W. Still away from both love Perce xxxxxxx

Army P O S15  1 August 18 Censore 6339 The Picture is of Rouen France.

yours Richard.

11 minutes ago, Richard Birs said:

Dearest M& H Just a card trusting you are having e right Royal times W. Still away from both love Perce xxxxxxx

I might have misunderstood your earlier posts, but are you sure his surname is Huntley? Could it be a card sent to his married sister, in which case he would not have the same surname as them?

13 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

I might have misunderstood your earlier posts, but are you sure his surname is Huntley? Could it be a card sent to his married sister, in which case he would not have the same surname as them?

The card reads as follows to Mr& Mrs H C Huntley 11Greenhill Rd Winchester Hants. 
Dearest M& H Just a card trusting you are having aright Royal time at W.Still away from both love Perce xxxxxx

1 August 18 APO S15 censor 6338 or 9 picture of Rouen France 

.would Think card to his Dad definitely for some reason I feel second Mum?

yours Richard.

Just now, Richard Birs said:

The card reads as follows to Mr& Mrs H C Huntley 11Greenhill Rd Winchester Hants. 
Dearest M& H Just a card trusting you are having aright Royal time at W.Still away from both love Perce xxxxxx

1 August 18 APO S15 censor 6338 or 9 picture of Rouen France 

.would Think card to his Dad definitely for some reason I feel second Mum?

yours Richard.

Going back to my first post, this is addressed to Harold C Huntley who married Besssie M Meacher in Q4 1915 at Winchester.

There is a photo of Harold Huntley on this forum posted by Sepoy some years ago.

As KAD said above, he could be a brother to Bessie so it would worth searching Perce/Percy Meacher.

Alan, 

Just beat me to it with a FreeBMD search on the marriage, and Percival Thomas W Meacher was born 1stQ 1880 in Alverstroke, Hants.

Might be him.

Got Him! Percival Meacher. 

This is his entry in in the WWSR.

Joined 1912...probably 4th Hants.

perce.JPG

3 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Got Him! Percival Meacher. 

This is his entry in in the WWSR.

Joined 1912...probably 4th Hants.

perce.JPG

This is Percy Meacher in the photo posted by @Sepoy some time ago. Harold Huntley also features in the photo.

I haven't posted the full picture as Sepoy has copyright. 

The photo features a group of former boy scouts in Winchester who had joined the 4th Hants. 

percy.JPG