Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Families of Soldiers

michellemcleod

Hi there,

Just wondering how families were notified of their loved ones deaths during this time. Would it have been via telegram or other??

Trying to imagine how it must have been for my great grandmother and what the UK Government might have done for her and her family during this awful time..

Hi there,

Just wondering how families were notified of their loved ones deaths during this time. Would it have been via telegram or other??

Trying to imagine how it must have been for my great grandmother and what the UK Government might have done for her and her family during this awful time..

My Grandmother received a telegram informing her that my Grandfather was missing in action. She received a letter/parcel much later, giving her more detailed information of his wounds, when he had died etc. and returning photographs which he had carried. They are still in the family's possession, torn and stained. Who sent them is a mystery as we were reliant on the memories of a young girl, my mother , then aged 8. What other official communication there may have been I do not know. My Grandmother received a war-widow's pension.