Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Generous Western Front map gift

Len Trim

Title says it all really. Map too large to photograph successfully so here is a shot from around Ypres.0DEA2801-6E1D-41C4-BD22-1605A411B531.jpeg.2e0e1dc1dd86a1c66b4ba75dc9e90117.jpeg2275FDFA-70FB-4B2F-8F6C-AED2AEE194BD.jpeg.3fea3c728fd98a6ab4b0d9197caf706b.jpeg

Thats lovely! 

Have you got and would you be able to post a photo of the area around Pervyse please?

Preferably showing the land north north east of Pervyse.

In March 1918 serving in RNAS 2 Squadron My grandfather was shot down in the plane he was piloting and the plane crashed " near Pervyse this side of the lines ".

Miraculously he survived though tragically his gun layer did not .

Thank you .

On rereading your message I note you say ‘this side of the line’ so I include this more westerly shot.D2380582-E398-48EB-B18B-BFF76044FEDB.jpeg.eb53a3f68332d0971f2110ecf5289bfc.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Len Trim said:

2A819CEF-ECD1-41DC-8FFF-74D1CA34D1AF.jpeg.89cb9c0ea42331e8c7f87ab114c7e7cc.jpegHope this helps.

That is wonderful!  Thank you so much!

I have a 1927 map bought at a boot fair. Part of The Times newspaper set they published. Nowhere near this detail 

I drove there last May on my grandfather s trail but had to press on to La Panne. Next year....

16761158046948421017751711116656.jpg

Although I have been to the Western Front many times I have not been since Covid. This post reignites my interest. Must reload my Linesman maps and do a bit of planning.

18 minutes ago, Len Trim said:

On rereading your message I note you say ‘this side of the line’ so I include this more westerly shot.D2380582-E398-48EB-B18B-BFF76044FEDB.jpeg.eb53a3f68332d0971f2110ecf5289bfc.jpeg

Oh brilliant ! Thank you!

Gosh he was so close to landing in German held territory. Not sure he would have survived his 3 broken leg bones if held PoW.

His plane was shot through the tail by ground anti aircraft machines  at Ostende.  It dived then fluttered like a leaf according to witnesses and Bam and gunner were seen out on the biplane wings trying to balance the plane.  Then it dived again and gunner list his grip. Bam hung on and let go just before plane crashed to the ground. He landed allright but plane toppled over and landed on his legs before catching fire.

I imagine Bam was pulled free by locals rushing to save him.

Amazing. True - have the official records from NA  .

Thank the lucky stars.

Thank you too!

2 minutes ago, Len Trim said:

Although I have been to the Western Front many times I have not been since Covid. This post reignites my interest. Must reload my Linesman maps and do a bit of planning.

Enjoy your trip!

Might be worth watching out on DFDS website for their bargain deals.

I paid £170 return Dover Dunkirk last May  . Shortly before my trip DFDS offered...  day return for £25 ....REFUNDED on proof of purchase from the Duty Free shop in Dunkirk ...and any value of purchase sufficed!

What??!! I nearly died!

Travelling with a few like minded friends from Scotland usually involves a flight from Edinburgh to either Charles de Gaulle or Charleroi airports and then a car hire. However I have done the Dover to Calais ferry crossing many times back in the day when taking school parties over to the battlefields. I don’t think I could handle the bus trip from Scotland now.

Lovely to hear of duty frees again!

1 minute ago, Len Trim said:

Travelling with a few like minded friends from Scotland usually involves a flight from Edinburgh to either Charles de Gaulle or Charleroi airports and then a car hire. However I have done the Dover to Calais ferry crossing many times back in the day when taking school parties over to the battlefields. I don’t think I could handle the bus trip from Scotland now.

Lovely to hear of duty frees again!

That sounds very civilised! Enjoy it!

Must have been good fun with the school parties and children say such " off the cuff and off the wall"  but piercing and relevant things too.

Yes.treated myself on the ferry home. Then got pulled over and searched by Dover customs who didnt seem to believe I had gone to Belgium to research my grandfather s WW 1 experiences. Luckily I only had minimum duty free goodies . Still I wont forget the interrogation !

I also have to find areas my grandfather fought at in the trenches prior to being invalided out and later joining the RNAS. He was RFA then 6th Wiltshire Regiment aged 18. Blimey what he did . Like many others.  Astonishing. 

People may also like to browse through the 6,437 maps georeferenced on TrenchMapper, including some similar to the OP. The number is going up all the time.

Howard

Just now, Howard said:

People may also like to browse through the 6,437 maps georeferenced on TrenchMapper, including some similar to the OP. The number is going up all the time.

Howard

Thank you.

Tried Trenchmaker last year but as I recall I struggled to use it being tekkie-hopeless here 

Will re try !

16 minutes ago, FionaBam said:

Thank you.

Tried Trenchmaker last year but as I recall I struggled to use it being tekkie-hopeless here 

Will re try !

If you look in the Help section, there are videos that may be of assistance. Help->Trench Map help->How to Videos.

They cover most of the topics.

Howard

9 minutes ago, Howard said:

If you look in the Help section, there are videos that may be of assistance. Help->Trench Map help->How to Videos.

They cover most of the topics.

Howard

Thank you !

I read one recent post of yours with Laconix. Your French is superb!

J'adore votre website au sujet Premier Middlesex. 

My French has collapsed sadly pushed out by Greek so.. I looked at your Great Mapping section.wow! If I cant understand what to do after studying that then there really is no hope for me !!

Wiltshire 6th was my grandfather s battalion  in WW1 1915 -1916.Read his file at NA this week. From their  Diary they were at Mons and Loos . Like your grandfather was . I have loads more to research .

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Howard

That’s a fantastic resource.

2 hours ago, FionaBam said:

Thank you !

I read one recent post of yours with Laconix. Your French is superb!

J'adore votre website au sujet Premier Middlesex. 

My French has collapsed sadly pushed out by Greek so.. I looked at your Great Mapping section.wow! If I cant understand what to do after studying that then there really is no hope for me !!

Wiltshire 6th was my grandfather s battalion  in WW1 1915 -1916.Read his file at NA this week. From their  Diary they were at Mons and Loos . Like your grandfather was . I have loads more to research .

So my unending shame, I find learning languages very difficult, I try but generally fall back on Google Translate. When replying to someone not from England it seems polite to at least try to use their language:-  but when I fail, I have a prop….!

Machine based learning and communication are here and getting better. Soon it will be possible to speak into one’s phone in English, the software does voice recognition and translation then that is reversed the other end, allowing one to speak in real time to someone who does not speak my language. Who knows where all this will lead.

Howard

5 hours ago, Howard said:

So my unending shame, I find learning languages very difficult, I try but generally fall back on Google Translate. When replying to someone not from England it seems polite to at least try to use their language:-  but when I fail, I have a prop….!

Machine based learning and communication are here and getting better. Soon it will be possible to speak into one’s phone in English, the software does voice recognition and translation then that is reversed the other end, allowing one to speak in real time to someone who does not speak my language. Who knows where all this will lead.

Howard

Seems a great skill to use the French you know combined with assistance from Google Translate 

We worry about dumbing down stuff dont we. But if better communication leads to better outcomes ( outcomes , what a word ..)for everyone then it has to be a big plus 

Mm..would one be sure one was speaking to a real person and not to a machine /AI thingy?!