Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adjutant and Quarter Master General War Diaries

tyrese

Can anyone help me with a link to an Adjutant and QMG war diary for XVlll Corps for 1917, please. I am researching a relative in the 93rd Field Company Royal Engineers, 17th Division, originally  with the Vlth Corps, but then the 17th Division was transferred to the Vlth Corps between April 24th-April 26th 1917. This was noted in the Adjutant and QMG War Diary for "A" and "Q"  Vl Corps, from a link provided by Ivor on this forum.

Thank you in advance

Tyrese

Dear Russ,

Thank you so much for the link. I have looked at it and discovered that the 17th Division seem to have been transferred to the Vll Corps on  the 2nd of May 1917, about a week afer transferring to the XVlll corps. Was this likely, do you think?

Anyway, thanks again for the link.

Tyrese

• Admin
30 minutes ago, tyrese said:

Was this likely, do you think?

It's not something I normally look into but my Reference (A F Becke: Order of Battle of Divisions: Part 3A - New Army Divisions) has this list of Dates/Corps for the 17th Division during 1917:

Regards

Russ

17th Division - Corps 1917.jpg

Thank you Russ for looking the 17th Division up in 1917. That ties in with what I have found, (including from the link you gave me before). They probably weren't in the XVlll Corps long enough to be recorded. Now have to find the XVll Corps A and Q War Diary. Hopefully, that will be easier this time because it's going to be in WO 95 and close to the link you gave me originally.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it 

Tyrese

• Admin
2 hours ago, tyrese said:

Now have to find the XVll Corps A and Q War Diary. Hopefully, that will be easier this time because it's going to be in WO 95 and close to the link you gave me originally.

Whilst it will be close to the one in the link, the most efficient and immediate way of finding it is by clicking on the link I provided and then changing that part of the search criterion that currently has 18 in the search box (top left corner) and simply substitute 18 for the new search criterion 17 instead. Press enter and, hey presto, the list of relevant XVII Corps documents will appear !!

Good luck.

Russ

I followed your instructions and have the XVll Corps War diaries downloaded now. I haven't had time to look at them yet, but will soon.

Thank you again for all your help, everything worked exactly.

Regards,

Tyrese