Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crossed axe shoulder patch

Stereoview Paul

Hi All, I am trying to work out where this fine officer may be from - the photo is of the aftermath of the bombardment of Lowestoft, so I guess taken shortly after 24th April 1916, I have seen 18th Corps suggested but theoretically they were formed after this date?

All ideas gratefully received, thanks Paul

1490325000_CrossedAxes.jpg.c4b72c1aa708d09c47618e8f833bb92e.jpg

1 hour ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Hi All, I am trying to work out where this fine officer may be from - the photo is of the aftermath of the bombardment of Lowestoft, so I guess taken shortly after 24th April 1916, I have seen 18th Corps suggested but theoretically they were formed after this date?

All ideas gratefully received, thanks Paul

1490325000_CrossedAxes.jpg.c4b72c1aa708d09c47618e8f833bb92e.jpg

He’s not an officer Paul, but a mature looking soldier from his infantry battalion’s organic pioneer section.  Each battalion had a section of around 10 men under a sergeant who traditionally had been allowed to grow a beard (this lapsed during the war).  The identification badge of the battalion pioneers was crossed felling axes on the upper arm.  His regiment appears to be the Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).

The pioneer section had its own establishment of tools and was intended to provide the commanding officer with his own domestic workforce.  Mostly carpentry and painting but they could often also do a little plumbing and other artisan skills.  They could make timber supports for dugouts and bunk beds, etc. as well as make the officers mess more comfortable, construct washstands for the men and also paint and erect unit signage.

These domestic unit pioneers should not be mixed up with the infantry pioneer battalions allocated on the basis of one per Infantry Division whose role was entirely different and whose identification mark was a brass collar badge comprising a crossed rifle and pick.

It looks to me as if the men are scavenging to see what wood can be salvaged from amongst the damage.  Whether to repair a fence or use the wood for repurposing is unclear.  The shoulder titles visible indicate that they are from a local Territorial Force battalion, but the ‘T’ has been removed I think, which was quite common after the introduction of conscription.

A3AD6C8F-00D6-4DCC-96F5-6F4128C3CBBC.jpeg

2B3BC212-051C-44D8-9E2E-B4DC2E15982F.jpeg

5256DA62-799A-498F-B457-8355D1F8939D.jpeg

136C0C63-3156-4FE2-A52C-8004FA3D1AFF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Great , thank you - I guess then that it also possible that they were asked to see if they could help to shore up buildings after the bombardment,

I am not sure that scavenging material from damaged buildings in Lowestoft would be acceptable!

5 minutes ago, Stereoview Paul said:

Great , thank you - I guess then that it also possible that they were asked to see if they could help to shore up buildings after the bombardment,

I am not sure that scavenging material from damaged buildings in Lowestoft would be acceptable!

Yes, shoring up seems more likely from a public relations viewpoint certainly.