Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

armour piercing tip

museumtom

I have a few 'yokes' that seem to be conical heads about the size and shape of an artillery fuze only a bit more pointed. They are made entirely of steel and came from a 'military source'. There are no markings on them though. Even where the detonator on the fize would be is made of steel and has no charge and was not made to take a charge. Have any artillery guys out there know what I have?

Yours in anticipation.

Tom

The Germans used their 88mm Anti-Aircraft gun on tanks in WW2 and it was extremely succesful on the Sherman tank.

Measure the base of the shell if you have it Tom to see if it is that size.

Tom

The Germans developed the Kanonengranate 15 mit Panzerkopf in 1915 for the 77mm field gun. These were armour-piercing shells that had a 'hardened armour nose in place of the fuse. [The fuse] was encased behind the nose and detonated the explosive filling of 170g TNT'. From Herbert Jaeger's book 'German Artillery of World War One'.

Robert

They are all put away in the Museum but I will try and get a measurment during the week. They came from an Irish source. How german ww1 'yokes' ended up here beats me.

Thanks guys.

regards.

Tom

A question though, the irish army had a 17 pounder, would this have been used with it?

Regards.

Tom

They are all put away in the Museum but I will try and get a measurment during the week. They came from an Irish source. How german ww1 'yokes' ended up here beats me.

Thanks guys.

regards.

Tom

The Germans supplied you with weapons Tom before and after the Easter uprising.

A myth is that the weapons used then were the ones smuggled on the Asgard, but they werent used then, i think the Germans had supplied more when they promised 50000+ troops, but they never turned up.

I hauled one out to have a butchers…

The hole inside of the base is 1 inch and the outside of that measures 1 and three quarters of an inch…any ideas? Beats the heck outta me.

Regards

Tom

post-1784-1112596749.jpg

Are they threaded and are there any slots for a key (spanner) for screwing them in or out?

They could be dummy fuzes for practice or drill rounds.

They are not plugs, as would be fitted to large calibre shell in transit, as these would be flat topped, not pointed.

Tom

Hopefully a Sapper will come up to add to this if possible, confirm or deny - I think I have seen these objects some years ago in a post WW2 "Camouflet Set", they fit on the end of tubes driven vertically into the ground to provide a pointed tip to make it easier to drive the tube. The tubes are then filled with explosive and detonated to crater roads, runways etc. - an demolition engineer's explosive tool.

Mike