Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War diaries of South African Native Labour Corps

Simon Keable Elliott

I have download from the National Archives in Kew the war diary for the 2nd Battalion of the South African Native Labour Corps October 1916 to April 1917 which makes fascinating reading. Does anyone know where the other official battalion war diaries of the SANLC may be?

My grandfather, Rev Captain Robert Keable was a chaplain with the SANLC from the the middle of 1917 until the SANLC was recalled before the end of the war and I woudl be really interested to read the diary for his group.

Simon,

I don't think any more SANLC Battalion war diaries are available. The following are for native hospitals and can be downloaded. Robert Keable may have been attached to a hospital at some point.

WO 95/4115/3 & 4 - 1 Native Labour General Hospital

WO 95/4115/6 - 2 Native Labour General Hospital

WO 95/4115/1 - 3 Native Labour General Hospital

WO 95/4115/1 - 4 Native Labour Stationary Hospital

WO 95/4115/8 - 5 Native Labour Stationary Hospital

WO 95/4115/7 - 7 Native Labour Stationary Hospital

WO 95/4116/7 - 2 Rest Camp Hospital {Native}

WO 95/4115/2 - Cape Coloured Labour Hospital

You may already know this. Robert Keable was appointed as a Chaplain with the South African Labour Corps on 28th May 1917. His London Gazette entry is here; Page 8678 | Supplement 30247, 21 August 1917 | London Gazette | The Gazette 

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Thanks so much for the links to the Native General Hospital diaries and also for the London Gazette link which I had not seen before. 

Much appreciated.

Hi Alf,

Just to say that thanks to your suggestion I have found a reference to my Grandfather in the war dairy for the 2 Native Labour Hospital  

11th March 1918 Capt. Keable , Chaplain from Rouen visited hospital and is to hold C of E communion service tomorrow.

I have found the War Diary for the 2nd battalion of the SANLC an amazing read. Clearly the men were very poorly equipped and really suffered through the very cold winter of 1916/1917. Would you know why none of the other war diaries seem to have survived. I would love to have sight of some of them if they were available?

Thanks again

Simon

Simon,

That's good news that you found your grandfather.

I think it's just been good luck that the 2 SANLC war diary has survived. I can't see any others.

However, you may want to look at 'WO95/4046/5'. It's a small file but may show which unit your grandfather was with.

Regards,

Alf McM