Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Upside down horseshoe

familyhistoryman

Hi

What is the significance of the upside down horseshoe?

Regards, Tony

A5581DB3-66DD-4E63-99D8-53A11B60EB1F.jpeg

It’s for upside down horses!

(sorry, couldn’t resist).

9 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Canadian Army isn't he?

Yes, Canadian Expeditionary Force rather than “Army”, per se**.  His insignia appears to be the standard general service type.  The qualification badge was for Farriers and Cold Shoers.

NB.  I cannot make out his shoulder title which appears to have a number above and so might relate to a specific unit.  Perhaps @RNCVRmight recognise it?

**Canada did not have an “Army” at that time.

C1B8550F-EDCC-487D-A8C2-D54CA296DA87.jpeg

3B8A2884-FA6F-4B7D-9B56-1CFC9A98621F.jpeg

C905087E-1B1C-4F27-B205-0BF15515B7C6.jpeg

E5EEB5AE-2187-4ABD-9840-C36A5B95FB9F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes, Canada General Service cap & collars but I am unable tomak out his shoulder title, it could well be CANADA as shown above.

Is it usual for a Canadian soldier to wear 2 differing lanyards? If one was for a clasp knife would the other be a pocket watch? If not, what?

Simon

26 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Is it usual for a Canadian soldier to wear 2 differing lanyards? If one was for a clasp knife would the other be a pocket watch? If not, what?

Simon

They’ve been plaited for show I think (the white one in box weave).  The thick one is a pistol lanyard that’s been repurposed.  It might be a pocket watch, but other options are possible.

Edited by FROGSMILE

He might have been Canadia Mounted Rifles?  Also Artillery is possible but then he would be wearing Artillery cap badge I expect.

Looked at that shoulder title again, tried to zoom in, looks like last two letters are - D & A, so possibly  CANADA. 

2 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

He might have been Canadia Mounted Rifles?  Also Artillery is possible but then he would be wearing Artillery cap badge I expect.

Mounted Rifles seems a distinct possibility Bryan, the bandolier implies mounted duties and, as you say, we’d expect to see different insignia if artillery.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Looked at that shoulder title again, tried to zoom in, looks like last two letters are - D & A, so possibly  CANADA. 

19 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Thank you, I’ve struggled to read it, more so than usually.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I feel quite sure the shoulder title is Canada, it’s a pity the number/letter above is not clearer.

Referring to the lanyards again, did wearing one over each shoulder contravene any orders or dress code? I can’t remember seeing 2 worn, though I often forget what I ate for breakfast so not the best guide.

Simon

4 minutes ago, mancpal said:

I feel quite sure the shoulder title is Canada, it’s a pity the number/letter above is not clearer.

Referring to the lanyards again, did wearing one over each shoulder contravene any orders or dress code? I can’t remember seeing 2 worn, though I often forget what I ate for breakfast so not the best guide.

Simon

No, there’s no contravention of dress that I’ve ever heard of, or read about Simon.  It’s not very commonly seen I agree, but it’s certainly not the first time I’ve seen it.  The use of a pistol lanyard is quite novel though.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ta.

The portrait studio being Ted Kershaw in Darwen leads me to conclude that the man was from Darwen, or nearby, and had the photo taken on leave.

Darwen was NOT a hotbed for CEF training.

However, at least 20 men from Darwen died while in the CEF.  I am not hinting the man was one of them.

4 hours ago, Broznitsky said:

The portrait studio being Ted Kershaw in Darwen leads me to conclude that the man was from Darwen, or nearby, and had the photo taken on leave.

Darwen was NOT a hotbed for CEF training.

However, at least 20 men from Darwen died while in the CEF.  I am not hinting the man was one of them.

Hi

Well spotted re the Darwen connection - at the moment we do not have a name

Tony