Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier’s marriage cert - but what unit?

Jervis

Hi. 

Any suggestions on what the unit referenced in the image is? 

The image is from the marriage certificate of a William McAuley who married in Dublin Sep 1917. The address of “Marlborough hall” indicates he was probably convalescing at the time of marriage and may not have been from Dublin.

I am interested in trying to establish who the man is, but not having much luck. 

thanks in advance for any help

Jervis

34A2BBB6-D6E2-4279-8749-6367813A0A23.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions, I had considered both - but just couldn’t reconcile the middle letter with an “I” and was wondering about other possibilities. 

8 minutes ago, Jervis said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I had considered both - but just couldn’t reconcile the middle letter with an “I” and was wondering about other possibilities. 

Royal Sussex Regiment is a possibility. 

45 minutes ago, BillyH said:

or Royal Irish Rifles?

BillyH.

According to the Long Long Trail,  8th Royal Irish Regiment was known as 2nd Guard Garrison Battalion at the time this man married - retitled 8th Garrison Battalion 25th May 1918, and the 8th Service Battalion 13th July 1918. 

There is a family tree for him, and wife Emily Kershaw in Ancestry.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/categories/42/?name=William_McAuley&count=50&defaultFacets=PRIMARY_YEAR.PRIMARY_NPLACE&name_x=1_1&spouse=_Kershaw&spouse_x=_1

Do you have any other details for them?

George

Thanks all for the replies. 

@George Rayner well done on finding that family tree, I had missed it. Alas, I have come to the conclusion the tree is full of inaccuracies and has sent me on a wild goose chase.  The man has been tagged against the records of three separate unrelated soldiers. None of which seems to be the guy, I am looking for. I'll keep plugging away. Although it does seem the marriage was short lived as his wife appears to have had two further spouses quickly thereafter. 

I have no details on the man other than the marriage certificate. 

Jervis

So often the case with Ancestry family trees!

I was hopeful there might be a little something to help…

George

1 hour ago, Jervis said:

Although it does seem the marriage was short lived as his wife appears to have had two further spouses quickly thereafter.

I could get the 1930 remarriage. Emily is at same address as in 1917 Marriage cert. This time an RC marriage, and she is back to Emily Kershaw, Spinster

mcauley-remarriage.jpg.04cb75a5b255d52a254d53ca93e50b7e.jpg

It is probably linked to William McAuley's death in 1929 (I cannot prove that is him). If it is, it would give an 1888 birth

mcauley-died.jpg.5e19fb84893962a26e7bcc1ab1127429.jpg

Edited by corisande

There is a William McAuley, born Belfast circa 1888 , in 1911 census, a Private in Royal Irish Rifles in Burma

Having said that I cannot get a William McAuley b1888 in Belfast with father Andrew

19 hours ago, corisande said:

There is a William McAuley, born Belfast circa 1888 , in 1911 census, a Private in Royal Irish Rifles in Burma

Having said that I cannot get a William McAuley b1888 in Belfast with father Andrew

Thanks Corisande. I know the ancestry tree says he was born in Belfast, but that tree has so many inaccuracies I am not sure I would trust it. That said, I do think the man is likely to be from Ulster or Scotland. 

19 hours ago, corisande said:

I could get the 1930 remarriage. Emily is at same address as in 1917 Marriage cert. This time an RC marriage, and she is back to Emily Kershaw, Spinster

mcauley-remarriage.jpg.04cb75a5b255d52a254d53ca93e50b7e.jpg

It is probably linked to William McAuley's death in 1929 (I cannot prove that is him). If it is, it would give an 1888 birth

mcauley-died.jpg.5e19fb84893962a26e7bcc1ab1127429.jpg

Yes. Might be him. The address would locate him near Emily’s original residence. 

The family tree has Emily given birth to two children with another man from 1924 on. Possibly they were estranged or possibly McAuley died earlier.

6 minutes ago, Jervis said:

That said, I do think the man is likely to be from Ulster or Scotland. 

Going by the name McAuley,  I feel that he is more likely to be from Belfast than Dublin. A lot of McAuleys around when I was growing up in Belfast

The fact that his father is called Andrew means to me that he could in fact be from Scotland.

But that all comes down to non - factual evidence

The 1911 census does say born Belfast and in Royal Irish Rifles, which is as close as I have got to thinking it was your man

1 hour ago, Jervis said:

The family tree has Emily given birth to two children with another man from 1924 on. Possibly they were estranged or possibly McAuley died earlier.

FWIW my view on the tree is that started with the bits they knew, then added everything that AI suggested on Ancestry!

Anyway it looks as if Emily Kershaw's liaison with Lawrence Carton  is probably correct (but Ireland births only go to 1921, so I cannot prove it) the detail on children being Carton/McAuley gives it an air of authenticity

If that were true, then she would not have been free to marry unless she managed to divorced McAuley - difficult in Dublin in early 1920s. Anyway purchase of the children's BC would confirm the mother, if you really needed to know.

But the odd thing to me is that we cannot get a birth, census for McAuley. Difficult for a name like William McAuley, but should be possible with a father Andrew

Could I ask what your interest in McAuley is, as that might give some clues too ?

My initial interest was because there is an Andrew McAuley (b1848, Dublin) in my family tree from that vicinity that I have struggled to find any details on - I suspect he died as a child - I was interested in establishing William’s identity on the off chance I could trace him back to Andrew. 

But at this point I strongly suspect there is no connection and this William is from elsewhere. (Religion is different amongst other things) but still would like to find out who he is. But with so little to go on, I think I am going to leave this one.