Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The "B" List of Mentions

RogerWill

Are you wanting to check for a particular person?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LISTS-MENTIONS-Valuable-Services-Ministry/dp/1783316519

"In this official work you will find: Home Service Military Personnel; Nursing Services; Anti-Aircraft Services; Military Record Services; Civilian Doctors; Services Whilst Prisoner of War; etc. In total, a staggering c.45,000 recipients are mentioned in this, a complete set of the original War Office ‘B’ mentions. No emblem was authorised for class ‘B’ mentions. They were recorded, however, in the service records of military personnel, and frequently preceded appointments of military personnel to the Order of the British Empire or award of the Meritorious Service Medal."

Edited by Ivor Anderson

All 'B' Mentions were published in 'The Times' newspaper. This is available online {I have access through the National Library of Scotland} and can be searched. I would suggest searching with the phrase "brought to the notice of" since this seems to appear in all cases. You can then narrow results by date. The names on the lists are in alphabetical order.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Ivor, I should have explained that I already have the book. If wanting to occasionally check for a specific name its not very useful given the multitude of small rolls and the lack of a comprehensive index. It would have been more useful to have released it as a searchable pdf or have it as an online database somewhere.

Alf McM, that proposed solution of searching via the Times could work. It's not quite as easy as I was hoping for but it may be the best option for the present...

Thanks both

Roger

Roger,

NLS also has a 'search within' function, which will find a particular name once you have a particular page or set of pages.

Regards,

Alf McM