Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Uniform Stuff

Blake1998

Does anybody have any Turkish, WWI uniform items in their collections they would share pictures of? I'm looking for tunics, kabalaks, pants, and boots. 

7 hours ago, Blake1998 said:

Does anybody have any Turkish, WWI uniform items in their collections they would share pictures of? I'm looking for tunics, kabalaks, pants, and boots. 

If @trajandoesnt have any I’m sure he’ll know someone who does.  Also @michaeldrmight be able to point you in a helpful direction.  They’re both very knowledgeable.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I am flattered by the mention above, however I am not an expert on the uniforms of any nation, let alone those of the Ottoman Turks. 

However, if put on the spot, then what little I do know permits me to mention the work of Kadir Türker Geçer. I have come across his articles on Turkish uniforms which are regularly found in the magazine 'anafarta', published by the Çanakkale Savaşlari Enstitüsü [https://www.anafartadergisi.com/]

This gentleman has also published a book on the subject of Ottoman uniforms 1826-1922 - see
https://www-idefix-com.translate.goog/Kitap/Osmanli-imparatorlugu-Askeri-Kiyafetleri-1826-1922/Kadir-Turker-Gecer/Arastirma-Tarih/Tarih/Osmanli-Tarihi/urunno=0001965521001?_x_tr_sl=tr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Alas, I am uncertain as to whether or not these publications are available in English

As with Michaeldr, flattered that you should think I have some knowledge of Ottoman GW era uniforms, but sadly I have no specimens of any parts. There used to be a very useful on-line site by Chris Flaherty, 'Ottoman Uniforms', www.ottoman-uniforms.com, but it seems to have disappeared, I suspect because many of his illustrations were being used by others without credit. I have visited a fair few ethnographical and military museums in Turkey, and aside from the odd kabalak - for which see also http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/2012/ottoman-turkish-sun-helmets-the-kabalak - WW1 Ottoman uniforms are conspicuously absent.

Trajan

Thank you for responding Michael and Trajan, it’s a pity that so many useful and dedicated uk based websites focused on niche history have disappeared.  

Blake,

Jump on the Australian War Memorial site and look through the collection, they have examples of Turk uniforms

Dan

Osprey Books are due to publish one of their heavily illustrated Men at Arms series on the Ottoman Army in August of this year

Ospry Books  Ottoman Infantryman 1914-18  Warrior Series 145 was first published in 2010 and can still be bought at a lot of bookstores

Thanks everybody! I was referring to actual uniforms. I'm looking for Turkish, WWI uniform stuff for The National WWI Museum. They have almost nothing Turkish uniform related.

1 minute ago, Blake1998 said:

Thanks everybody! I was referring to actual uniforms. I'm looking for Turkish, WWI uniform stuff for The National WWI Museum. They have almost nothing Turkish uniform related.

You might do best in contacting the Turkish Military Museum in Istanbul for a loan!

Trajan

In other cases I’ve seen the only solution was to create mannequins fitted with replica uniforms.  There are some good costumers who can do this if provided with a sample to copy.  Perhaps a Turkish museum can assist with that.  It’s not idea I know, but better than nothing if your museum feels that balanced representation is important.