Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge ID needed

Ralphed

If someone could name the regiment these fine chaps are in, I'd be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

80220328_1684023095079856_695488583447149761_n.jpg

I don't know, but rather suspect they are Colonials of some description

The belt equipment is intriguing - looks like the old ball-pouch of about 50 years before the war and the artillery piece is obviously a muzzle-loader, yet their rifles are bolt-action

Canadians CEF - collars & likely cap badges are maple leaves. + 7 button tunics.

I did wonder about the collar dogs, but the badges are obviously different

Ross rifles ?

Edited by 6RRF

I agree with m’learned friend Bryan.  As well as Maple leaf collar badges, the type of SD jacket with its 7-buttons and standing collar, plus the Oliver pattern leather equipment, all confirm Canadian Expeditionary Force soldiers.  Unfortunately the badge details are not clear enough to discern the precise regiment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ralph - If you have names (not likely I expect) all CEF soldiers records are online & downloadable now.

Thanks to all for the replies.

RNCVR

The photo is from an FB page Frittenden Historical society and I'm waiting for a reply as to names. I did think they were Canadians and I don't know if they sourced the photo from elsewhere or there is a connection to the village. It's bit odd as I'm currently helping a Canadian who's roots are from the village track his WW1 ancestors.  

If you are able to obtain their names, let me know, I will get the links to their online CEF records for you.

RNVCR

I've had a reply from the Frittenden historical society.

Hi, I can't believe I've only just stumbled across this message - sorry! They are Charles and Edward Homewood who left Frittenden for Canada, but returned with the CEF in the First World War. They both fought in the Battle of Festubert, where Edward was badly injured and was eventually discharged. Charlie later transferred to the RFC and was killed in a training accident. He's buried in St Mary's, Frittenden.

Here are their CEF records @Ralphed....  Once you get the each up, click on the link -- Digitized service file - PDF format:  This will give you his full record & tell you the number of pages in each file. There could be a lot of pages but some of the contents might irrelevant for your purposes.

HOMEWOOD, Charles

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=458146

HOMEWOOD, Edward

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=458148

Let me know how you get on,

Best Bryan

Bryan

Thanks for the info. Not sure what info the Society has and i'll pass on anything they need.

Ralph.