Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.T Ivernia

Derek Robertson

H.M.T Ivernia was torpedoed and sunk on New Year's Day 1917 by UB-47 off Cape Matapan, Greece, with 2,400 Scottish soldiers on board. Eighty-five soldiers and 36 crew members were killed.

Can anyone add to her story, where she was heading etc?

PC-IV11.jpg

Derek,

Ivernia was a 14,278 grt Cunard liner that was launched in 1900. She was en route to Alexeandria went sunk 58 miles SxE1/2E from Cape Matapan. UB 47 was on her fourth patrol and under the command of Oblt.z.S. Wolfgang Steinbauer. Steinbauer, who would later take command of the more powerful UB 48, would go on to win the Pour Le Mérite. He was responsible for sinking 52 ships of 186,833 tons and damaging an additional nine ships of 58,997 tons.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael,

If she was heading for Alexandria was she bringing fresh troops out from Britain or moving troops around the Med from Palestine etc?

Malcolm,

I have a 1/4th bn.KOSB casualty enboard so she could well have been carrying parts of the 52nd Division.

Derek,

I don't have exact information on Ivernia's movements, however she was a very large vessel for her time (the 14th largest merchant ship sunk by U-boat in WWI). I would have to presume she was used for bringing troops to Alexandria from Britain, though she might have stopped along the way. Anything else would be a misuse of resources. She certainly was not shuffling troops from Palestian, as she was sunk off Cape Matapan, Greece.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks Michael