Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/badge ID

BJB

23 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Because?

#4817 should read # 48175. See the post by @Dave66above. 

Father Thomas Skelly, Mother Elisabeth, brothers, William and James? Richard is listed as step son.

4 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Father Thomas Skelly, Mother Elisabeth, brothers, William and James? Richard is listed as step son.

Yes that's him on the 1911 census info.

Mother Elizabeth married Thomas Skelly when Richard was about 11years old. William and James were step brothers ,Thomas was his stepfather. His biological brother Henry was with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in Aldershot at the 1911 census. Biological father unknown. Mother was probably a single parent.

He has been challenging to decipher.

Barbara

1 minute ago, BJB said:

He has been challenging to decipher.

Barbara

Thanks for the reply, I am drawing a blanc at the moment, do you have a street address for him perhaps after the war and a date of death? Reason I ask is there are a number of Morrisons on Fold 3 pension records, non of which I can match him up to as yet. Regards, Bob.

2 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks for the reply, I am drawing a blanc at the moment, do you have a street address for him perhaps after the war and a date of death? Reason I ask is there are a number of Morrisons on Fold 3 pension records, non of which I can match him up to as yet. Regards, Bob.

I have nothing on him after the 1911 census. His address at that time was rural Stiles, Antrim. there was no Irish census in 1921 (the "troubles") so he disappeared.

The next address I have for his mother is 1930, 34 Wensley Street Belfast. She travelled to to Australia to visit her son Henry in 1930, returning in 1933 to the Wensley Street address. She died June 1935 in Belfast, same home address.

There is a family story of him going to London and joining the merchant navy. No date and I have found no evidence of this.

I have searched Cooke, his birth registry, Skelly his stepfather's name, and Morrison which he started using between 1901 and 1905.

The family is convoluted.

Barbara

10 minutes ago, BJB said:

Could this possibly be a Royal Marine Light Infantry uniform?

That I do not know, have you found a likely candidate? Our learned friend @FROGSMILE will give us the best answer, though he has already suggested RGA

On 18/01/2023 at 14:09, FROGSMILE said:

Many soldiers wore a variety of watch fobs during the war and it would depend upon the nature of his unit.  If it were mixed, with men from diverse backgrounds, little attention would be paid as many wouldn’t know the significance of it.  It would also depend upon the attitude of the officer commanding the unit and the policy he chose to exercise through his sergeant major.  

I have found a possible candidate in the 1921 census at the Simonstown Naval Base in Capetown SA. Then I found a military record, poor quality but right age, right birthplace, mother Elizabeth, enlisted 1914 in Belfast.  Ticks a few boxes. 

25 minutes ago, BJB said:

Could this possibly be a Royal Marine Light Infantry uniform?

Barbara

I'm open to be corrected, but that shoulder title looks more convincingly like RMLI rather than RGA

19 minutes ago, BJB said:

I have found a possible candidate in the 1921 census at the Simonstown Naval Base in Capetown SA. Then I found a military record, poor quality but right age, right birthplace, mother Elizabeth, enlisted 1914 in Belfast.  Ticks a few boxes. 

I had found a Richard Morrison, living at 51 Utility Street Belfast listed as  R Marines service number 16832. Attached is a RMLI chap showing his shoulder title. Courtesy of 'Lives of the First World War'   Profile picture for Norman Taylor

Edited by Bob Davies

9 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

I had found a Richard Morrison, living at 51 Utility Street Belfast listed as  R Marines service number 16832.

That’s the same reg # on the 2 documents I found. What was this document?

1 minute ago, BJB said:

That’s the same reg # on the 2 documents I found. What was this document?

A pension record from 'Fold 3' via ancestry.co.uk  Date of discharge is 10-1-24. That is all the details on there, other than a lot of official scrawlings which mean nothing to me.

28 minutes ago, BJB said:

Thank you. 
that’s the same # and discharge date I have. I am having trouble finding that card but will follow through with the address.

Courtesy of Ancestry/fold 3.  image.png.eeacf0fff57187df9f76cd6668837976.pngimage.png.5e76a5887a1d242b5cce6fc81db999b9.png

15 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Courtesy of Ancestry/fold 3.  image.png.eeacf0fff57187df9f76cd6668837976.pngimage.png.5e76a5887a1d242b5cce6fc81db999b9.png

Thank you Bob.

I think the next step for me is chasing a SA marriage. A new area for me. But will wait for the uniform guru to offer his thoughts.

Barbara

2 hours ago, 6RRF said:

I'm open to be corrected, but that shoulder title looks more convincingly like RMLI rather than RGA

It’s a distorted view of the title.  It could be RMLI, hard to be 100% sure what it is.

0D827479-95D3-49E6-B9A1-0E630CCAFD3A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE