Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform/badge ID

BJB

This is Richard Morrison, Born in Belfast in 1894 and enlisted (probably in Belfast) around 1913/14. His older brother was in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. I can find no military records that match this man's (my great uncle) personal data. He was a weaver prior to his military career.

That looks like an Ulster Star on his breast pocket but would that be  Military approved badge?

There is also a family story of him joining the Royal Navy but I don't think this is a naval uniform.

Your thoughts?

image.jpeg.a2450852bd6d66c49ea3c587f5cbbdf9.jpeg

Its an army uniform. Identifying the regiment should be straightforward if someone can read that shoulder title. It looks like R [ ] [ ] The middle one isn't an I and the last one isn't an F which rules out the Inniskillings

They’re large lettered titles, nothing to do with fusiliers whose titles were invariably surmounted by a grenade and had smaller letters.  The Inniskillings title was also uniquely quite long unlike all the other fusiliers.  I think the letters look like RGA so perhaps he’s Royal Garrison Artillery.  The star object is attached to the T-bar of his watch chain and so is a fob to make it easier to remove the watch and read it.

1871D082-F790-467E-A98A-2816DD8D4205.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

50 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

1871D082-F790-467E-A98A-2816DD8D4205.jpeg

I’d say R.G.A. as well. 

• Admin

Another vote for RGA 

6 minutes ago, BJB said:

Was it acceptable to wear the Ulster Star badge on his uniform given its political nature? 
Barbara

Many soldiers wore a variety of watch fobs during the war and it would depend upon the nature of his unit.  If it were mixed, with men from diverse backgrounds, little attention would be paid as many wouldn’t know the significance of it.  It would also depend upon the attitude of the officer commanding the unit and the policy he chose to exercise through his sergeant major.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 minutes ago, BJB said:

Thank you for all this information. I am impressed by everyone’s expertise.

Barbara

The Royal Garrison Artillery served the largest, heavy guns, siege and coastal artillery, and so were a feature of all the then defended ports and fortresses in Ireland, both South and North. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, aim said:

Shoulder lettering looks like KW[?] to me.

Has anyone produced a complete alphabetical listing of these insignia?

aim.

To me they look like RGA as proposed earlier. 

The lower of his 3 tunic buttons also looks like RA. I cannot see the two above clearly to distinguish between RA or General Service.

Charlie

26 minutes ago, aim said:

Shoulder lettering looks like KW[?] to me.

Has anyone produced a complete alphabetical listing of these insignia?

aim.

Yes, Ray Westlake has.

20 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

To me they look like RGA as proposed earlier. 

The lower of his 3 tunic buttons also looks like RA. I cannot see the two above clearly to distinguish between RA or General Service.

Charlie

Yes I too can see the RA button I think, albeit a little indistinct.

We need one of our excellent genealogical detectives to research the name against RGA and RFA now.

FMP has a medical record for R. Morrison. 1533. 1st Lancashire Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.  B.1894.  Aged. 23.   Admitted to No.34 Casualty Clearing Station. 4/1/1917 - G.S.W. L/Foot.   7/1/1917 he was transferred to 5th Ambulance Train.

Frustratingly I cannot find an MIC or medal roll entry for that name/number combination. 

image.jpeg.8d5951641112904b5e7533b608091612.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

A little more on Richard Morrison

Born in Belfast in May 1894. Mother Elizabeth, C of E. Single. Lived in Belfast so I assume joined up there. The photois around 1914 so start of the war. 

I have ruled out RGA # 4817

RFA #160698 is a possibility but can't find much on that reg #

I have been using the Forces War Records site.

Barbara

30 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

FMP has a medical record for R. Morrison. 1533. 1st Lancashire Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.  B.1894.  Aged. 23.   Admitted to No.34 Casualty Clearing Station. 4/1/1917 - G.S.W. L/Foot.   7/1/1917 he was transferred to 5th Ambulance Train.

Frustratingly I cannot find an MIC or medal roll entry for that name/number combination. 

image.jpeg.8d5951641112904b5e7533b608091612.jpeg

That does seem odd given his admission to an ambulance unit and wound type that points to overseas operational service.  Perhaps a slightly different name combination on the medal roll/MIC.  Maybe some of our special detectives can help. 

4 minutes ago, BJB said:

A little more on Richard Morrison

Born in Belfast in May 1894. Mother Elizabeth, C of E. Single. Lived in Belfast so I assume joined up there. The photois around 1914 so start of the war. 

RFA #160698 is a possibility but can't find much on that reg #

I have been using the Forces War Records site.

Barbara

I’m positive that your photo shows an artillery soldier Barbara.  There were three branches operating guns, RGA, RFA and RHA

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

That does seem odd given his admission to an ambulance unit and wound type that points to overseas operational service.  Perhaps a slightly different name combination on the medal roll/MIC.  Maybe some of our special detectives can help. 

Odd indeed;  I’ve tried spelling variants and searching by just the number. 
 Still frustrated. 

12 minutes ago, BJB said:

Richard Morrison

Born in Belfast in May 1894.  C of E. 

R. Morrison. 1533. posted above matches  for dob and religious denomination. 

I also ruled out Richard Morrison - #48175.  B. 1896. 

Not many possibilities if you search M.I.C’s on ancestry using the search term artillery….that is if he served overseas.

8C125F7C-74E2-4CFD-B95B-CF17A8FE571A.png

RGA#1533 lists residence as Liverpool so probably not our Richard.

RFA#160698 gunner, is a candidate but I can't seem to find any other info on him.

What does RHA stand for?

Barbara

9 minutes ago, BJB said:

What does RHA stand for?

Royal Horse Artillery.

Because RC and NOK address "Ballycroane". Ballyroane was just outside Dublin.

Richard was C of E and NOK was in Belfast. Richard seems to proudly wear the Ulster star on his uniform so I am supposing he would not be going anywhere near Dublin or Ballyroane at that time.

Barbara

27 minutes ago, BJB said:

RGA#1533 lists residence as Liverpool so probably not our Richard.

What does RHA stand for?

Barbara

Can I ask where you found the record for 1533. residing in Liverpool please?
 It’s certainly possible for an Irish lad from Belfast to cross the water to Liverpool to live. 

R.H.A. is Royal Horse Artillery. 

Edited by GWF1967