Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any clues on the attached uniform please?

steve fuller

The attached is Imperial War Museum reference HU 127950 (if any copyright or similar issues, link to the IWM's database image is here).

From the Bond of Sacrifice collection apparently, labelled as Second Lieutenant E. Wright of the Bedfordshire Regiment.

I've been unable to trace who he is so are there any clues from the uniform please?

The uniform seems a little baggy / unkempt / unfamiliar with the ironing board or is it just me? Seems unusual given that he is posing for what may be his last portrait photograph before going overseas?

Anyway, any thoughts please?

WRIGHT E (IWM HU 127950).jpg

19 minutes ago, steve fuller said:

The uniform seems a little baggy / unkempt

Anyway, any thoughts please?

WRIGHT E (IWM HU 127950).jpg

I’d guess he’d already seen some service. The Sam Browne belt has been taken in a notch or two suggesting he’s lost some weight, which would explain the less than tailored fit of his uniform. 

Edited by GWF1967

16 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I’d guess he’d already seen some service. The Sam Browne belt has been taken in a notch or two suggesting he’s lost some weight, which would explain the less than tailored fit of his uniform. 

Good spot, thanks.

Hi Steve

2/Lt E J Wright was attached to the Bedfords (1st-2nd Battalion). In June 1918 when this was taken he was employed by the Ministry of Labour. If you cannot find him in the MRI etc I guess he did not serve abroad.

image.jpeg.94bb0132a6fc3b01ea8ee1f7f3659a12.jpeg

Edited by Raster Scanning

He’s wearing an officer’s version of the circa 1915 trench cap that was common mid-war, and the creased appearance of his uniform is typical of an officer living in the field.  If the photo was taken at home in Britain then I think his appearance was contrived specifically for the studio sitting, as his distinctly shabby turnout would invite censure at regimental duty, and likely lead to his batman being sacked, or disciplined.  Even if at the ministry of labour I would anticipate more senior officers out-and-about within that environment to upbraid him.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks chaps, back to the Army Lists it is then! Must have gone snow blind by the time I reached 1918 :/ 

edit; Gave me enough of a thread to pull on - he's Second Lieutenant Edward James Wright, gazetted 1/8/1917, served abroad in 8th Bn. Presumably transferred out when they were disbanded Jan 1918 and at some stage moved onto the Min. of Labour.

Edited by steve fuller