Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Railway Troops outfit. WW1 or Boer War?

Daniel DUFOUR

Hi everyone. I came across this photo, which belonged to a member of the 7th Canadian Railway Troops. On the back, it is only written "B Coy lines". This sapper fought in the Boer War and the First World War and the photo appears to be from the WW1 period, according to the writing (this is the opinion of one of his descendants). Their outfit on the photo does not look much like that of WW1. Could it be some loose outfit for hot weather? Could these guys be in a Boer War camp? Helmets seem more from WW1. What do you think?

7th Cdn Railway Troops - B Coy - Harry's Coy in WWI 1917.JPG

These guys above look more or less like these ones attached, an assessed picture of CRT men during WW1...

13888731236_8c238e9eec_b.jpg

29 minutes ago, Daniel DUFOUR said:

Hi everyone. I came across this photo, which belonged to a member of the 7th Canadian Railway Troops. On the back, it is only written "B Coy lines". This sapper fought in the Boer War and the First World War and the photo appears to be from the WW1 period, according to the writing (this is the opinion of one of his descendants). Their outfit on the photo does not look much like that of WW1. Could it be some loose outfit for hot weather? Could these guys be in a Boer War camp? Helmets seem more from WW1. What do you think?

7th Cdn Railway Troops - B Coy - Harry's Coy in WWI 1917.JPG

They are WW2 soldiers.  The uniforms are typical.  A big giveaway are the first field dressing pockets positioned on the upper front of the trousers, just to one side of the fly.  This became a standard specification from 1937, and appeared on battle dress, khaki drill and olive drab uniform trousers, the latter two in cotton. 

20 minutes ago, Daniel DUFOUR said:

These guys above look more or less like these ones attached, an assessed picture of CRT men during WW1...

13888731236_8c238e9eec_b.jpg

These are indeed WW1, but not those in the initial photo you posted.

AFB54115-6C86-476E-92DC-CF6B07C0B64C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks! Makes sense. The weird thing is that my wife's grandfather who was in the 7th CRT as well kept the same kind of WWII jacket as a souvenir. So, that makes two guys from the 7th CRT who kept WWII items (a photo and a jacket) as a souvenir from WWI...

3 hours ago, Daniel DUFOUR said:

Thanks! Makes sense. The weird thing is that my wife's grandfather who was in the 7th CRT as well kept the same kind of WWII jacket as a souvenir. So, that makes two guys from the 7th CRT who kept WWII items (a photo and a jacket) as a souvenir from WWI...

The very last pattern of clothing to have that 1937 specification first field dressing (FFD) pocket was the P1960 DPM of 1968 that replaced the P1960 in olive drab.  I recall that my comrades who were left handed firers of the rifle cursed the FFD because when taking up a firing position it dug right into an uncomfortable spot and made it difficult to lay flat and shoot well.  They were also the first to have the new NATO sizing alongside Imperial sizing used since Queen Victoria’s reign.  It makes me feel very old.

9B532815-FF3E-4384-8AA9-398AC47B3D87.jpeg

B243DC36-A673-42B9-8D0D-03B8C953D5BC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE