Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge Id please

davidbohl

It has been attached in a family tree on Anc. for Pte #300539 Horace Davenport 18/KLR from Ludlow

thanks

Dave

DavenportH_capbadge.png

• Admin

KSLI I’d say 

29 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

KSLI I’d say 

Yes, I think so too.  Ludlow was also within that recruitment catchment.

86D564A7-E3EB-4CFE-91B5-7124FAB6C89A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks all, is that like rainhood on the cap?

9 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

Thanks all, is that like rainhood on the cap?

There were broadly two types, one was intended for inclement weather protection, and the other to define a special purpose, such as the red cap cover used by military mounted and foot police. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

There is a Horace Davenport with the number & regiment you mention. He originally enlisted into the Lancashire Fusiliers before being posted to the KIng's Liverpool. No mention of KSLI. There is also a Horace Birch Davenport who was in the Shropshire Light Infantry.  He is most likely your man. Here is a photo of him. Does it match what you have got?

horace.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ron da Valli said:

Does it match what you have got?

The medal roll shows Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry before 18/KLR, fab photo of him on Ancestry here 

42 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

The medal roll shows Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry before 18/KLR, fab photo of him on Ancestry here 

On 24 September 1917 16 Officers and 290 Other Ranks from 1/1 Lancashire Hussars joined the 18th Battalion, from VIII Corps Cavalry Regiment, and brought their regimental seniority with them resulting in a Battalion name change to 18th (Lancashire Hussar Yeomanry) Battalion, King’s (Liverpool Regiment) although the cap badge remained that of the Liverpool Pals. 

965 Lancashire Fusiliers (1915 Star)/300539 18 KLR Horace Davenport seems most inconsistent with the KSLI badge in the OP

Edited by TullochArd

23 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

On 24 September 1917 16 Officers and 290 Other Ranks from 1/1 Lancashire Hussars joined the 18th Battalion, from VIII Corps Cavalry Regiment, and brought their regimental seniority with them resulting in a Battalion name change to 18th (Lancashire Hussar Yeomanry) Battalion, King’s (Liverpool Regiment) although the cap badge remained that of the Liverpool Pals. 

965 Lancashire Fusiliers (1915 Star)/300539 18 KLR Horace Davenport seems most inconsistent with the KSLI badge in the OP

There seems to be a mix up of Horace Davenports. There is a Horace Birch Davenport of the KSLI from Whitchurch Shropshire. He was killed in action on the 9th August 1915. 

5 minutes ago, Ron da Valli said:

There seems to be a mix up of Horace Davenports. There is a Horace Birch Davenport of the KSLI from Whitchurch Shropshire. He was killed in action on the 9th August 1915. 

Reckon you've nailed it RdV. 

Whitchurch and Ludlow both mentioned for HBD.......40 miles apart. Both HBD and HD killed in action. 

The family appears to have picked the wrong one. 

The OP photo would therefore be 5889 Horris Birch Davenport 1 KSLI (the GR uses Horris)

Good job.

13 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

Reckon you've nailed it RdV. 

Whitchurch and Ludlow both mentioned for HBD.......40 miles apart. Both HBD and HD killed in action. 

The family appears to have picked the wrong one. 

The OP photo would therefore be 5889 Horris Birch Davenport 1 KSLI (the GR uses Horris)

Good job.

One of the family members has added the correction of Horace for Horris on Ancestry. Maybe he chose to spell it that way when he enlisted. 

Good job I queried the cap badge, I was taken in by the fact the klr man was from Ludlow.

Well done all, I will let the family know and ask how they came by the photo

Dave

I've contacted Richard, the tree owner on ancestry.

He said "as for the KSLI most of the villagers joined that regiment .. I have pics of their training camp just outside Rhayader… the photo came from the late Dawn Davies who was a relative of the Davenport family and my client when I was researching that particular group. Horace features in other photos taken prior to WW1 as he was part of the local footie team."

Pretty good provenance ?

On the 1901 census KLR Horace was a 15 year old post boy

whilst  KSLI Horace Birch was serving with 2/KSLI 1899-1902 in the Cape 

Edited by davidbohl