Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what cap badge is this?

pjdgm

• Admin

I’d say East Surrey Regiment but I await the experts. 

11 minutes ago, pjdgm said:

I know only served in the Labour corp

The cap badge isn't the Labour Corps cap badge.

Edit: How do you know he only served in the Labour Corps?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

2 minutes ago, pjdgm said:

I know that this isn't the labour corps

5 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Edit: How do you know he only served in the Labour Corps?

1 minute ago, pjdgm said:

Medal index card his name was John George William Haigh there is only one MIC in this name.

You can't just pick out a card just because the name and or initials are correct without any other corroborating evidence.
Quite often some of the initials could be missed out on the cards.

He could be any of the J. Haighs in the MIC index.

The MIC usually doesn't list any regiments served in solely in the UK. The first and subsequent regiment served in in a theatre of war should be listed. So even if he is the right man  he might have served in a regiment in the UK (examples named as examples above), but that regiment would not appear on his MIC.

Tell us what you know about this man, and members will try to tease out information from all relevant surviving sources.Try to find all biographical details. As service records have an 80% chance of having been destroyed, then information from surviving sources need to be cross referenced to others, hopefully confirming you have the right man.

14 minutes ago, pjdgm said:

Medal index card his name was John George William Haigh there is only one MIC in this name.

Now presuming that you know his correct full name and you think that he was John G W HAIGH, 365690, Labour Corps https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2504108

M

Edited by Matlock1418

46 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I’d say East Surrey Regiment but I await the experts. 

I think you’ve got it right Michelle.  Either, standard East Surrey, or Wandsworth Battalion (the former more likely from what I can see).  He’s an older looking man and might perhaps have served with the East Surreys at home, but Labour Corps overseas. 

902CC1E6-A2B2-49BF-9483-FE6D0A20D6C1.jpeg

FD66D09F-EC1B-4DAC-B267-AA75FCF1F0AC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

what I know

Full name: 

John George William Haigh

Married to Ellen Haigh (nee Lacey)

living in Marylebone paddington and was also born there.

Had 2 brothers who served in the middlesex ( one joined MGC later) Percy and Sydney.

Was a lamp lighter by trade 

happy to dig more information if needed

1 minute ago, 303man said:

He was 365690 Labour Corps, Are you sure that is him in the photo?

I would say that Im about 90% + sure that's him in the photo 

If he was 365690, LC, then Starling and Lee's excellent book, 'No Labour, No Battle' gives that number as from Approx. September to November 1917 - so plenty of time to get earlier UK service in beforehand, as has previously been suggested.

M

4 minutes ago, 303man said:

There was a John William Haigh Cheshire Regiment (Similar Badge to picture) I can find no John Haigh (East Surrey Regt)

Hmm this is interesting maybe this could be and the badge is very close, do we know if service record survived? 

43 minutes ago, pjdgm said:

this is another photo I have of him as well 

JGWHAIGH2.jpg

I did think he might be a Territorial from the first photo, as I thought I could see a multi tier shoulder title, but as the photo was so damaged I wasn’t sure.  This second photo confirms it, as the shoulder title is again curved and it’s possible to see additional devices, a number and a T above it.  See example below.

Interestingly the first line and second line battalions of the 5th and 6th TF Battalions were in Kent in 1915.

FA179E2E-5A77-439F-822A-83E97371A1A3.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

57 minutes ago, 303man said:

There was a John William Haigh Cheshire Regiment (Similar Badge to picture) I can find no John Haigh (East Surrey Regt)

Yes the outline shape is similar and I did consider the Cheshires, but the central device is quite different and squinting at the OP photo I thought I could make out a shield.  Happy to see what others think.

Perhaps what I thought was a shield is the Acorn, but then what would a Cheshire TF soldier be doing in Margate.  The only scenario that would fit would be if he worked and lodged up North, joined the TF there too, and then perhaps came home on leave and had his photo taken.  It’s possible but altogether a bit of a stretch….

Afternote: according to the LLT all Cheshire TF battalions were up North before any deployment overseas.

0F4E112E-9241-4FB6-A264-82930B126944.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

I can add that the relevant Labour Corps Medal Roll shows that men with adjacent LC service numbers to 365690 were all ex East Surrey men.

That some have the East Surrey Regiment on their LC Medal Roll is simply evidence that they had served previously overseas with the East Surreys before being transferred to the LC. But Service Records show that even those men with near LC numbers not on the LC Medal Roll (e.g. 365683) were also ex East Surrey - it's just that they didn't see any overseas service at all. The implication is that the John George William Haigh with LC number 365690 was also an ex East Surrey man - it's just evident that he didn't serve overseas with the East Surrey Regiment.

The few records that do exist indicate they had previous service with different East Surrey Regiment Battalions - the commonality appears to be that they were eventually transferred together from the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion East Surrey Regiment to the LC on 19/09/1917 and given consecutive LC numbers.

Regards

Russ

9 minutes ago, RussT said:

I can add that the relevant Labour Corps Medal Roll shows that men with adjacent LC service numbers to 365690 were all ex East Surrey men.

That some have the East Surrey Regiment on their LC Medal Roll is simply evidence that they had served previously overseas with the East Surreys before being transferred to the LC. But Service Records show that even those men with near LC numbers not on the LC Medal Roll (e.g. 365683) were also ex East Surrey - it's just that they didn't see any overseas service at all. The implication is that the John George William Haigh with LC number 365690 was also an ex East Surrey man - it's just evident that he didn't serve overseas with the East Surrey Regiment.

The few records that do exist indicate they had previous service with different East Surrey Regiment Battalions - the commonality appears to be that they were eventually transferred together from the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion East Surrey Regiment to the LC on 19/09/1917 and given consecutive LC numbers.

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ, that confirms things rather nicely I think.  The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion were at Dover throughout the war.  I suspect he came from either the 5th or 6th TF to them, probably not having initially signed up to the Imperial Service obligation, but then perhaps posted to 3rd after the Military Service Act introduced compulsory military general service.  The 14th (Reserve) Battalion was also in Kent at Gravesend.

3DFCBDD9-E97E-47AF-8D79-35AF2C65350E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

50 minutes ago, 303man said:

41245 John W. Haigh (Cheshires) died in 1917 and a 5534/50247 John William Haigh (Cheshires) was killed in 1918. That said, I don't see the distinct open ended scrolls of the Cheshire badge on the OP photo but do see a "blobby" crown of sorts on it pointing me back towards East Surrey cap badge. 

I can't find a J Haigh (East Surrey) either so it looks like the consensus is developing as East Surrey, and he didn't serve overseas with the East Surreys, which I am certainly with.

3 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

41245 John W. Haigh (Cheshires) died in 1917 and a 5534/50247 John William Haigh (Cheshires) was killed in 1918. That said, I don't see the distinct open ended scrolls of the Cheshire badge on the OP photo but do see a "blobby" crown of sorts on it pointing me back towards East Surrey cap badge. 

I can't find a J Haigh (East Surrey) either so it looks like the consensus is developing as East Surrey, and he didn't serve overseas with the East Surreys, which I am certainly with.

It’s quite rare that Michelle ever gets it wrong, she has a good eye and spotted the East Surrey badge straight away.  Kudos to her!

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion were at Dover throughout the war.  

Grand Shaft Barracks at Dover .......... and about twenty miles from American Studio at Margate where the second OP photo was taken.

JGWHAIGH2.jpg.fc9793ab0a2a2df4157808d8573b94a8.jpg