Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burials for the Leicestershire Regiments

Guest Graham Payne

Guest Graham Payne

I am hoping to visit a few cemetaries when I go to the Somme later this month and was hoping to find some graves for the 6th-9th bn of the Leicestershire reg'ts from their attack on bezantin-le-petit wood on 14-15 July 1916.

I have found that 25 are buried in Flat Iron Copse and 6 in Dantzig but other than odd ones here and there, can find no more. Does anyone know of any other cemetaries containing more than just a few of the 'Tigers'.

There might be a couple in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, and one or two who died of wounds in Quarry Cemetery, Montauban - but the majority of men who died in this attack are on the Thiepval Memorial.

Hi Graham..

Thought you may like to know of a grave I make a point of visiting every time I go to the Somme.

It's that of Private Thomas Palmer of the 1/4th Leicesters who was killed in Feb '17. Plot 2 Row C and is buried up in Foncquevillers (Funky Villas I think the troops called it).

The inscription by his parents I am sure you will agree warrants a visit "Will some kind hand in a foreign land place a flower on my son's grave".

Good Luck with your search.

Regards

Graham,

There were 4 brothers served in the 9th Leicesters, from my home village one Richard Ramsden M.M. K.I.A. 29th March 1918 is buried

in Doullens Communal Cemetery Ext., 1, Somme France. I would appreciate a photograph of his grave if you go there.

Kind Regards, Cliff. Hobson.

Guest Graham Payne

Cliff,

We are a lttle tight for time and Doullens is a little bit out of the way. However I have got his details of CWGC and if it is possible to nip up their, I will take a photograph for you.

regards

Graham

• 9 years later...

Epehy Wood Farm cemetery has men killed in the March 1918 offensive and also Saulcourt Church

I have photos of some

Cliff Hobson

Your man is in a staggered row, at the back, but this photo may do

Peter

Attach

post-14342-0-73100700-1371204805_thumb.j

DSCF1742copy.JPG

Leicester Reg graves at Saulcourt Churchyard Extension from March 1918