Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Service Badges

thedawnpatrol

Can these be researched by the number on them ?

i have several, one of which is stamped RAF and another ‘noted’ as RFC ?

01CE5928-3820-4E2B-9C9D-284BC57B7881.jpeg

98EF9AD0-D017-433D-942B-F4C4E4194421.jpeg

E43E8448-15B3-4524-BF0B-99C588D45185.jpeg

9E29C1C1-8F0C-460E-A029-4E32BD0B4FBB.jpeg

D25555D8-D36D-4B0A-8AC4-FD893C385EFD.jpeg

Hi,

Ancestry has the Army Silver War Badge roll so you should be able to research the recipient.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Yes,

Search in ancestry’s silver war badge roll, if you use the edit search, type in just the badge number and tick the “exact” box you should get the name….I searched for B127414 and one result came back….John Rook Inkster. I am registered but don’t have a current membership, screen shot below.

Dave.

Edit…beaten to it by Steve.

9D8CC019-074F-497D-8822-BAE15265761E.png

Edited by Dave66

These are "Silver War Badges". I would consider a "War Service Badge" to be those worn by munitions workers and the like,
https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/on-war-service-badge

The good news is that there are ways of determining who received those army Silver War Badges issued by the army, which have surviving medal rolls. This info is available via Ancestry and FindMyPast.

Unfortunately, the RAF rolls have not survived. The 8000 series RAF Silver War Badges were issued at some point between March 1919 and March 1920. The dates at which various number batches were released by the Air Ministry is documented in AIR 2/197.

131218 Arthur Hailey served in the RAF. He has a surviving service record. The second page will document his campaign medal entitlement, and mention of his SWB RAF 8026. This will indicate when he was medically discharged from the RAF.

17 hours ago, Dave66 said:

I searched for B127414 and one result came back….John Rook Inkster.

Looking at the Silver War Badge roll on Ancestry -- B127414 comes up (as Dave66 said) as John Rook Inkster who was in the King's Liverpool Regiment, service number 94189. I have attached his MIC and his entry in the SWB rolls (courtesy of ANCESTRY)

Inkster_mic.jpg

Inkster_SWB rolls.jpg

17 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

131218 Arthur Hailey served in the RAF. He has a surviving service record. The second page will document his campaign medal entitlement, and mention of his SWB RAF 8026. This will indicate when he was medically discharged from the RAF.

His service record shows that he died on the 16 October 1918. (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Hailey.jpg

17 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

mention of his SWB RAF 8026. This will indicate when he was medically discharged from the RAF.

This SWB relates to when he was discharged from the South Staffordshire Regiment (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Hailey_SWB entry 1915.jpg

I stand corrected, insofar as it was a War Office badge, not Air Ministry.

59082  Charles Doughty Harris is understood to have received a Silver War Badge.

Thank you All, for your very interesting comments and information.