Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pith helmet in Italy ?

Simon Cains

Hello, a neighbour showed me this photo, he thinks it was taken in Italy.  The army records suggest he was in the Army Service Corps (Motor transport) and he was a dispatch rider.

• Is this a pith helmet ?
  • Would that really have been worn in Italy ? ( fighting in the Alps ). I wondered if he was just passing through Italy on the way to Egypt.  But the rest of his uniform does not seem tropical.   Maybe the hat was just a prop in a photographers studio.
  • Can anyone identify the badge please ?

Thanks very much.,

I am trying to compile a history of all the WW1 men in our village. 

https://piddingtonandwheelerend.org.uk/archive/Documents/Men-of-Piddington-who-served-in-the-First-World-War-v2.pdf

image.png.54721f6606145c133d1e78b375c3baba.png

2 hours ago, Simon Cains said:

Hello, a neighbour showed me this photo, he thinks it was taken in Italy.  The army records suggest he was in the Army Service Corps (Motor transport) and he was a dispatch rider.

• Is this a pith helmet ?
  • Would that really have been worn in Italy ? ( fighting in the Alps ). I wondered if he was just passing through Italy on the way to Egypt.  But the rest of his uniform does not seem tropical.   Maybe the hat was just a prop in a photographers studio.
  • Can anyone identify the badge please ?

Thanks very much.,

I am trying to compile a history of all the WW1 men in our village. 

https://piddingtonandwheelerend.org.uk/archive/Documents/Men-of-Piddington-who-served-in-the-First-World-War-v2.pdf

image.png.54721f6606145c133d1e78b375c3baba.png

The helmet is called a Wolseley and was a type of sun helmet popular since the 2nd Anglo/Boer War when it began to be favoured by officers and later on issued to soldiers.  He wears the tropical pattern uniform known as khaki drill (KD), which was a stout cotton twill, hard wearing and cooler than wool in hot climates, as well as being more suitable for regular laundering.  The insignia appears to be an Army Service Corps pagri badge, which was larger than an undress cap badge.

The port of Taranto in Italy was a principal logistics hub for the British forces in the Middle East and as a warm station KD uniform was common throughout the summer months.

3B08F30A-3941-4FE7-A0AF-011B5639A97D.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

36 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The helmet is called a Wolseley and was a type of sun helmet popular since the 2nd Anglo/Boer War when it began to be favoured by officers and later on issued to soldiers.  He wears the tropical pattern uniform known as khaki drill (KD), whigh was a stout cotton twill, hard wearing and cooler than wool in hot climates, as well as being more suitable for regular laundering.  The insignia appears to be an Army Service Corps pagri badge, which was larger than an undress cap badge.

The port of Taranto in Italy was a principal logistics hub for the British forces in the Middle East and as a warm station KD uniform was common throughout the summer months.

3B08F30A-3941-4FE7-A0AF-011B5639A97D.jpeg

Thanks, very helpful. So he probably was on his way to or from the Middle East.

45 minutes ago, Simon Cains said:

Thanks, very helpful. So he probably was on his way to or from the Middle East.

He might also have been based there operating the logistics hub.  At that time the ASC ran most of the administrative services with the AOC responsible for storage and some of the repair and maintenance. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 20:27, FROGSMILE said:

He might also have been based there operating the logistics hub.  At that time the ASC ran most of the administrative services with the AOC responsible for storage and some of the repair and maintenance. 

My neighbour says "Thanks for your email Simon and all the information you have provided.  Like the majority of service men of those times, I have no recollection of my grandfather talking of when or where he served or any of his time  served.  
Many thanks Simon. ".      So thank you again "Frogsmile", in fact you seem to have answered pretty well every query I have ever posted on the GWF.  I hope you are a successful author behind the pseudonym ?

1 hour ago, Simon Cains said:

My neighbour says "Thanks for your email Simon and all the information you have provided.  Like the majority of service men of those times, I have no recollection of my grandfather talking of when or where he served or any of his time  served.  
Many thanks Simon. ".      So thank you again "Frogsmile", in fact you seem to have answered pretty well every query I have ever posted on the GWF.  I hope you are a successful author behind the pseudonym ?

No, I was a successful soldier and am content with that.  I write just here and a few other military interest forums.  I’m glad to have been of some help.  There are many other subject matter experts who can give you far greater detail on various aspects, it all depends upon what you look for.

Edited by FROGSMILE