Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grayback Shirt Question

Piper42nd

I had it my head that the little white strip on the front of the grayback shirt was meant to be where the service number and unit were stamped.  I've recently been told that I'm wrong, that the stamp goes on the shirt tail.  Which is correct? 

If the strip isn't to be stamped why is it there?  Is it just for reinforcement

The shirt in the photo is a reproduction. 

Thanks

Harvey 

20221203_152550.jpg

13 hours ago, Piper42nd said:

I had it my head that the little white strip on the front of the grayback shirt was meant to be where the service number and unit were stamped.  I've recently been told that I'm wrong, that the stamp goes on the shirt tail.  Which is correct? 

If the strip isn't to be stamped why is it there?  Is it just for reinforcement

The shirt in the photo is a reproduction. 

Thanks

Harvey 

20221203_152550.jpg

It did indeed go on the white strip during WW1.  There are numerous examples of that visible in contemporary photos, although of course occasionally a few appear to have omitted to do so, or it’s too faded to be seen. The marking details were laid down in regulations.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Harvey

The above will be of interest.

All of #HutVent by Great War Huts are worth a watch either by Twitter or YouTube

Couldn’t work out how to put text with the tweet.

Mandy

Mandy, I did watch the video and it's what prompted me to post this question.

I believe FROGSMILE if he says that's what the white strips are for.  He is very rarely wrong about such things.

Harvey 

1 hour ago, Piper42nd said:

Mandy, I did watch the video and it's what prompted me to post this question.

I believe FROGSMILE if he says that's what the white strips are for.  He is very rarely wrong about such things.

Harvey 

It’s not so much ‘what they were for’ Harvey (the strips were designed to strengthen the join where strain is imparted when pulled regularly on and off over the head).  It’s always been the case in past ‘clothing regulations’ for marking of clothing arrangements to be decreed, and the white strip was merely seen as a convenient place to imprint personal details using the service ink provided.

Edited by FROGSMILE

That makes sense.  Thank you. 

When you get a chance could you post a photo showing a stamped shirt?

Harvey 

49 minutes ago, Piper42nd said:

That makes sense.  Thank you. 

When you get a chance could you post a photo showing a stamped shirt?

Harvey 

If you carry out a search of “greyback” within the forum you should find various details and images.  I post just one example, extracted from a thread below. 

CA8D759A-771B-4637-B9D8-6F414684927C.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Piper42nd said:

Thanks again

Most of the men have their details on the strip, but some have noticeably faded.  Interestingly there are other ink stamped numbers, larger and placed elsewhere on their shirts, that I think probably relate to rotational laundry arrangements, although I’m not positive of that.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello,

Hello, here is a shirt on which the number has been placed on the fabric strip. The service number has also been placed on other parts of the shirt (back, front etc.)

Gérald

20221204_212357.jpg

These photos are of pages from the "Clothing Regulations 1914".  As can be seen the stamps belong on the "tape below the front opening" just as FROGSMILE stated.  The Great War Huts people are, therefore, wrong.

I should've looked before posing my question.   Sorry.

Harvey 

20221204_153904.jpg

20221204_153924.jpg