Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Pilckem'

Bert Heyvaert

Dear Pals, especially Belgian ones,

We have all heard of the 'Pilkem Ridge', but I was wondering where the actual name 'Pilckem' comes from. Does anyone knows of the roots of this placename?

regards,

Bert

Bert,

I won't go into technical details and bore English speaking Forum members with the etymology and morphology of our Flemish village names. Just this ...

- All Flemish village names ending on -em, -hem, g(h)em, ing(h)em and ing(h)e have one thing in common : the first element is almost always a name, of some 5th or 6th century farmer or large landowner, and the last element 'hem' means : house, settlement (cp. English home).

Since most of these village names in the course of the centuries have been seriously contracted, and since these old names are no longer in use, these modern names are no longer transparent. But a name like 'Alvering(h)em' (which shows its origin better than most other names, could be 'translated' as : the settlement (= hem) of those who belonged to (= ing) of farmer Alver.

- Does this explanation go for 'Pilkem' too ? Probably. Unfortunately there are not many older spelling varieties of the name of that hamlet (Pelecken 1171, Pelechem 1173, Pelecheem 1267 and a few more), and these are pretty 'young', since the hamlet itself may be centuries older than these names.

However there are some exceptions to this pattern name of "farmer + settlement". As far as I know only a handful in our province West-Flanders (Pittem, Keiem, Beernem..). In these names the first element does not contain a person's name, but a geographical (landscape) feature. Is Pilkem one of this subcategory ? Possible, but I'm afraid there is no way to find out.

Conclusion : Pilkem is an example of a wellknown name category, second element meaning "settlement", and the first element a name (of a farmer). Though there is (statistically) a small chance that this first element is some geographical feature instead.

I'm afraid you are hardly nearer to an answer...

Aurel

Aurel

I'm always interested in the similarity between the north European languages. Where, in this case, "ham" in English has the same meaning as "hem " in Flemish (Dutch?) as a settlement - as in, say, Nottingham.

John

To Aurel,

Splendid. I was delighted by your explanation.

Gilbert Deraedt