Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Request for Advice - British Gallipoli War Diaries on Ancestry

Crunchy

I need to access the British Gallipoli War diaries. I know they are on Ancestry.com, and am willing to pay the membership fee. However, I am seeking advice from those who have accessed them on Ancestry.

My questions are:

Have all the war diaries for VII and IX Corps and the British divisions that served at Gallipoli been digitised?

How does one access them on Ancestry?

Does one have to pay an additional fee to download them?

If, so what is the fee per download?

Regards

Chris

Not an answer to your questions, but have you considered the transcriptions of the War Diaries by the late Martin Gillott, previously a member of this Forum.

He transcribed the British and Indian Army War Diaries which are available on Amazon.co.uk as Kindle editions, for which you can download the Kindle app.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k="Gallipoli+Diaries"+Gillott&i=digital-text&qid=1608931914&ref=sr_pg_1  (note there are two pages of listings)

My understanding is that he transcribed all the War Diaries which were available.

Most are priced at £2.99 each, and all the handwriting has been transcribed meaning that you don't need to guess what someone has handwritten.

Maureen

Hi Chris, I have Ancestry 'All Access' which includes the Dardanelles War Diaries at no extra cost. They are very simple to use, just search for the unit and they return page by page, which once viewing is easy to navigate to the next entry by arrows on the side of the screen. I have attached what the search options are which gives you an idea.

In answer to your question about whether all units have had their War Diaries digitised, my understanding is that if they were completed by the unit at Gallipoli and held by the National Archives, as opposed to a museum, then they are held by Ancestry.   

Ancestry offer a two week free trial which maybe be useful. Fold3, which also hold the records and additional documents such a pension records, are offering a seven day free trial :) 

D5381BF2-9368-4347-9057-99CE114CF636.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

Chris,

2 hours ago, MaureenE said:

Not an answer to your questions, but have you considered the transcriptions of the War Diaries by the late Martin Gillott, previously a member of this Forum.

He transcribed the British and Indian Army War Diaries which are available on Amazon.co.uk as Kindle editions, for which you can download the Kindle app.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k="Gallipoli+Diaries"+Gillott&i=digital-text&qid=1608931914&ref=sr_pg_1  (note there are two pages of listings)

My understanding is that he transcribed all the War Diaries which were available.

Most are priced at £2.99 each, and all the handwriting has been transcribed meaning that you don't need to guess what someone has handwritten.

Maureen

Chris,

I would recommend the Martin Gillott transcriptions. They are on Kindle and are easily searchable for names, places etc. There are only about 30 available, and include some Brigade diaries.

As far as I know, the diaries on Ancestry can only be downloaded a page at a time.

Regards,

Alf McM

Maureen, Gunner 87, and Alf,

Many thanks for your replies and assistance. They are much appreciated. I shall look at both. The Australian Army History Unit has asked that I write a book on the evacuation of Gallipoli and rather than just focus on Anzac, I want to cover Suvla and Helles as well. Your advice should allow me to cover the VIII and IX Corps as well .

Warm regards 

Chris

Chris, when writing the OH of the Great War Bean had a man: Tasmin Heyes who erved as an agent of the Australian War Records Section (AWRS) as it was then know abroad, he spent 3 year in the Historical Section copies British and Empire materail. The link is here  Heyes Papers. They still exist.

Many thanks MartH. I wasn’t aware of that link. Greatly appreciated.

Warm regards 

Chris