Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locating the first burial site

Quadey

Hi everyone, I have just returned from a fabulous trip to the Western Front in both France and Belgium which culminated in honouring 202152 Pte Herbert Knight, C Company 2/4th East Lancashire Regiment.  Herbert is buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery and I noticed that on the attached form which is an Exhumation and reburial sheet from the CWGC, it gives a, "Map reference where body found".  For Herbert it was apparently at D16 a 8.2 and I tried putting this into T-Mapper but sadly it does not recognise the format.  Can any of you clever people out there point me in the right direction as to where this was please?  Herbert signed up with my Gt Uncle and another friend in Bacup, Lancashire, as Derby recruits in early December 1915 and he was the first of the three amigos to be killed in action.

doc2155813.JPG

From the October 1917 War Diary of 66 Div HQ GS. D 16 a 8 2 is near Beecham, very close to Tyne Cot.

TNA WO 95/3120.

Brian

3120.jpg

Wow, thankyou so much guys, this is brilliant!  I believe Beecham was 198 Brigade HQ for the attack on the morning of the 9th October and the jumping off point was a taped line between Hamburg and Berlin Wood, so looking at both these fantastic maps I can only presume he was killed in action very early in the action and they managed to bring his body back to the HQ area to be buried.  I have a Trench Map for this attack which is in 2/5th East Lancs War Diary but I have not seen this particular map before Brian, so thank you for pointing it out to me.  303man that is absolutely amazing what you posted, thank you.  I am in contact with the Gt Niece of Pte Knight and will be meeting up with her in due course. Would you mind if I printed the map off and gave it to her?  A massive thank you to you both, this is absolutely brilliant!

18 hours ago, Quadey said:

Hi everyone, I have just returned from a fabulous trip to the Western Front in both France and Belgium which culminated in honouring 202152 Pte Herbert Knight, C Company 2/4th East Lancashire Regiment.  Herbert is buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery and I noticed that on the attached form which is an Exhumation and reburial sheet from the CWGC, it gives a, "Map reference where body found".  For Herbert it was apparently at D16 a 8.2 and I tried putting this into T-Mapper but sadly it does not recognise the format.  Can any of you clever people out there point me in the right direction as to where this was please?  Herbert signed up with my Gt Uncle and another friend in Bacup, Lancashire, as Derby recruits in early December 1915 and he was the first of the three amigos to be killed in action.

doc2155813.JPG

The format should be 28.D.16.a.8.2 i.e. with dots between the parts.

If you go to TrenchMapper you can put that map reference in the box in the left panel. and click Convert. It will offer you 332 georeferenced maps and a few aerial photographs. The maps at the bottom of the map list are small scale or have no scale.

The decode in TrenchMapper is the same as tmapper- same author.

Under Help->Knowledge Centre there is an explanation of how to read a trench map and map references.

Howard

18 hours ago, Quadey said:

"Map reference where body found".  For Herbert it was apparently at D16 a 8.2 and I tried putting this into T-Mapper but sadly it does not recognise the format. 

Very glad you have your answer above but for future reference/use ... you always need to include the sheet number when inputting into TMapper [which in this case in in top right of GRRF i.e. 28 - thus the 28.D.16.a.8.2 with dots as has been offered above]

M

Thank you Howard and Matlock 1418, that is really helpful and I will now know for future searches :)

• 3 months later...
On 28/11/2022 at 20:30, Quadey said:

......... which culminated in honouring 202152 Pte Herbert Knight, C Company 2/4th East Lancashire Regiment.......  

Quadey, A couple of hundred metres outside my Borough of Rawtenstall comfort zone but In case you hadn't seen it the "Acre Mill Church and Sunday School Roll of Honour" was reported found in the cellar at Acre Mill Baptist Church, Stacksteads with "the original frame and mount badly affected by damp and mould” A reconstruction, from Rossendale Library RCN 940 3 ROS, shows a photo of Herbert. I added it the the IWM Lives site a few years ago at:   

Community: Borough of Bacup: Acre Mill Church and Sunday School, Stacksteads. Roll of Honour (IWM Ref: 76115 - 10 names, units and photographs) | Lives of the First World War

Edited by TullochArd