Remembered Today:

WWI Warship Identification

Inverugie

I'm trying to identify 2 ship models that I've received which appear to be mislabelled.

1/ Dreadnought, identified as SMS Bayern, but is marginally shorter (approx 580') than a model of Bayern I have from the same manufacturer, though it does look similar.  It has 2 straight funnels, with a superstructure (searchlight platform?) attached to the rear of the aft funnel.  There are a number of ship's boats on the deck between the funnels which made me think of Royal Navy, but I can't find a match.  Main armament is 4 x twin guns in a standard A, B, X, Y configuration, with secondary armament in 3 barbettes either side and forward of the bridge structure.

2/ Armoured Cruiser or Pre-Dreadnought, identified as SMS Scharnhorst, but is marginally longer (approx 500'?) than a model of Scharnhorst I have from the same manufacturer.  It has 4 straight funnels, evenly spaced, with the fore-funnel attached to the bridge structure.  Ship's boats are abeam funnels 2, 3 and 4.  Main armament is 2 x twin guns in A, Y configuration, with secondary armament in 4 barbettes either side abeam the funnels.    The barbettes are stepped on two decks, and grouped in pairs (one lower, one higher).   

I can post images if that will help, but in 1/3000 scale, there's not a great amount of detail.

Thanks in anticipation.

A picture paints a thousand words - could you perhaps make the process of identification a whole lot easier by posting a photo or two?

MB

Certainly, although the words might be a bit garbled.

2798 - BB plan

2800 - BB elevation

2797 - CA plan

2799 - CA elevation

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

Please disregard the query about the BB.  I've since found another, manufacturer-sealed model, which shows that this is in fact his version of the 'Bayern', which means the model that I thought was a Bayern must actually be a 'Sachsen'.

Still after information on the armoured cruiser, if anyone can shed some light. 

I think the second model is meant to be the Scharnhorst. Four funnels of that shape are very unusual. The main armament was 8 x 8.3inch. Four in pairs fore and aft and four singles. The single 8.3s would be the upper guns which you take as the secondary armament. The secondary armsment was 6x 5.9 inch single guns - one deck lower.

RM

Thanks RM, I'd tend to agree, except that I have a factory-sealed Scharnhorst from the same manufacturer, and it's a different model.  

They're identical in layout, so what's accurate (or inaccurate) with regard to major detail for one, applies to the other.