Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entitlement to a Croix de Guerre 1914-1918 for Charles Gadda.

Old Owl

Morning All,

I have been asked a question regarding entitlement to a WW1 Croix de Guerre.

The soldier in question is: 148295 Gnr Charles Gadda, Royal Field Artillery (later Labour Corps)

Any help much appreciated,

TIA, Robert

There is nothing on his medal card-but guess you have checked already-and as his wife was Belgian is it a Belgian Croix de Guerre or French

George

Medal Card Transcription on Find My Past shows a second service number for the Labour Corps. A search brought up some papers which (on FMP) are under GADD. (images courtesy of FMP)

Gadda 2.jpg

Gadda 3.jpg

Gadda 4.jpg

Gadda 5.jpg

Gadda 6.jpg

One of my distant ancestors was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre. I found a newspaper snippet that said as much but no mention of the reason for it. I started looking but couldn't find anything finally posting on the GWF for possible assistance. despite many suggestions from GWF members, I never did find the reason for his award. I show the link below to my GWF post from 2018 in case it helps.

Hi

He is not listed in the LG and I have not been able to find his name in any of the usual non gazette sources.

Not saying he wasn't awarded a CdG as some were not gazetted. I would keep looking in WD's and newspapers.

7 hours ago, George Rayner said:

There is nothing on his medal card-but guess you have checked already-and as his wife was Belgian is it a Belgian Croix de Guerre or French

George

Many thanks for your interest George,

I shall have to find out which of the two this relates to--I had assumed that it was French but will check to make sure.

Best, Robert

7 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

No surviving service records. However, he is listed as a reported casualty in the Balkans (name recorded as GADDE). (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Gadda.jpg

Many thanks indeed Allan,

These pieces of information are most helpful and I shall pass them on--a picture is now slowly building and these have added much to his back story.

Best, Robert

17 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi

He is not listed in the LG and I have not been able to find his name in any of the usual non gazette sources.

Not saying he wasn't awarded a CdG as some were not gazetted. I would keep looking in WD's and newspapers.

Many thanks FG for taking the time to check this out, I shall pass your comments on to the enquirer,

Best, Robert

1 hour ago, nhclark said:

His service papers as Charles Gadda are on Ancestry.

Many thanks,

Best, Robert

Birth name Carlo Luigi GADDA. Birth date (1939 Register) 27 May 1888, British born. Also known as Charles, Charley, Charlie and Chas. Became a master caterer. Died 9th April 1967. Left 4,970 GBP.

Charles GADDA attested on 10th December 1915, aged 28, and immediately transferred to the Army Reserve. He was mobilised on 12th July 1916 and became a Gunner in the RFA. He was posted to the BEF Salonika on 11th November 1916. Wounded 11th  May 1917 (gunshot left forearm). Compulsorily transferred to Labour Corps (999) Area Employment Company from 20th May 1918. Demobilised 19th April 1919.

Entitlement BWM, VM.

Married his wife Claire/Clare Louise/Louisa B...... on 10th September 1913 in Ostend, Belgium. Quite possibly then he could have taken up arms against the Germans in the invasion of Belgium August -October 1914.

Edited by nhclark

When trying to establish why my ancestor was awarded a Belgian Croix de Guerre, I wrote to the Belgian Embassy, who kindly sent me a photocopy of his entry in the list of awards, but as the Military Attache said, they didn't keep records of "why". 

If you drop them a line they may be able to confirm the award, but that's about all.

P.S. I made my enquiries long before the Internet Age, so who knows whether they will reply these days.

9 hours ago, Interested said:

P.S. I made my enquiries long before the Internet Age, so who knows whether they will reply these days.

I think we've all experienced that!

But Robert could try this link to the War Heritage Institute to find out where the list of CdeG recipients can be accessed and, indeed, whether Carlo Luigi (Charles) Dadda has a service record in the Belgian military. https://warheritage.be/en/contact

In this case I would be very surprised if there was no reply.

I remember reading about a French Officer giving  CdG to a British Officer. He handed them out to some Sergeants in his regiment.  No records no London Gazette.   I was researching 2438. 2458. 265924.   A. SJT. L. RICHARDS. WELSH R. Family medals . No record of him being awarded the Croix De Guerre. that his family was sure he had won.  
 Lyn.

Many thanks all for your replies, and sincere apologies for not acknowledging same sooner.

Thanks for all your comments and pointers--most helpful.

The search continues.................

Robert