Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill Instructor

Simon Warren

Hi There I am looking into Henry James Hickman born 1868 . I think he was a gym instructor at Shorncliffe Barracks Folkestone . If anyone can shed any light on the matter that would be wonderful .

I have him in a Parsons Guide from Folkestone . Listed as Drill and Fencing Instructor.

Thank you Simon

There are naval records for him under H J A Hickman - Henry James Andrews. This has an entry that he was serving at the Royal Marines Depot in Deal from Aug 1914 until he was invalided out in Feb 1919. He is on a silver war badge register. He had previously served 21 years from 1886 to 1907

The record is downloadable from the National Archives

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7800221

A Pension card indicates Deal as well

10 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

There are naval records for him under H J A Hickman - Henry James Andrews.

Pension card available under that name [as you have noted] - Royal Marine Depot Deal - D1.73. Cr Sergt.

An allowance of 5/6 for 13 weeks from 25 Feb 19 (Dis) [which I read as immediately after his date of discharge]

Address given as Oakley Hall, Cirencester, Glos

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

The 1911 Census of England & Wales has a 43 year old Henry James Hickman, born Bentworth Alton, Hampshire, recorded as the married head of the household 8 Coolinge Lane, (declaration on the census return), or 8 Coolinge Villa's (enumerators schedule). Folkestone. He describes his occupation as Fencing & Gymnastics Master at the School of Physical Culture, as well as a Naval Pensioner.

He lives at that address with his wife of 13 years, Helen Hickman, (34), born Inverness, Scotland. The union has produced 4 children, all then still alive and also still living with them. William Henry, (12), was born Chatham, while Thomas James, (10), Nellie Jane, (8) , and Daisy Elizabeth, ("4 years 11 months"), were born Deal, in Kent.

Cheers,
Peter

"An unattached Church of England church was the Emmanuel Church which opened in 1882 and was in Cheriton Road next to the Gun Brewery. The church closed down in 1910 after which, it became a school for physical culture (i.e. an early gym!) then a shop until 1973 when it was demolished to build the Northern Distributor Road. "

see https://www.folkestonehistory.org/uploads/F&DLHS Newsletter No. 68 - Autumn 2016 Final Proof.pdf bottom of page 1 - top page 2. Quite possibily the gym in question

Edited by Mark1959