Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Derbyshire Yeomanry War Diaries

the_ageing_young_rebel

Hello all,

I've been asked by a friend to help him do a little WW1 research, but my skills are hitting a wall already. I'm struggling to find the War Diaries for the Derbyshire Yeomanry. I was wondering if somebody could help point me in the right direction? 

Thanks in advance

• Admin

54 minutes ago, the_ageing_young_rebel said:

I've been asked by a friend to help him do a little WW1 research, but my skills are hitting a wall already. I'm struggling to find the War Diaries for the Derbyshire Yeomanry. I was wondering if somebody could help point me in the right direction? 

The 1/1 Derbyshire Yeomanry fought as infantry at Gallipoli

The diary for this period is on Ancestry

here

if you subscribe. Interestingly it dates from embodiment/mobilisation on the 5th August 1914 but there is a huge gap from deployment to theatre  until October. They suffered heavily on the 21st August at the Battle of Scimitar Hill as part of 2nd Mounted Division, and it may  be the diary was lost/not kept for this period

They then went to Salonica via Egypt, where they were employed as GHQ Reserve. Neither the Egypt or Salonica war diaries have been digitised.

The 2/1 were converted to cyclists and neither they nor the 3/1st served overseas therefore no war diary.

Perhaps you would like to share the details of the man you are researching.

12 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Perhaps you would like to share the details of the man you are researching.

Thanks so much! Amazing stuff. This research isn’t for a particular man though, the friend that I’m doing this research for is currently in this reg (or the descendant there of) and is interested in their history. He had a small collection items linked to their history but didn’t know war diaries etc were accessible so offered to find them for him. So you’ve saved me from having to admit that I over stated my research abilities!

Thanks again

• Admin

14 hours ago, the_ageing_young_rebel said:

the friend that I’m doing this research for is currently in this reg (or the descendant there of) and is interested in their history. He had a small collection items linked to their history but didn’t know war diaries etc were accessible so offered to find them for him. So you’ve saved me from having to admit that I over stated my research abilities!

You could perhaps impress your friend with

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/derbyshire-yeomanry-war-history-1914-1919/

Currently in their black friday sale a reprint of the 1921 edition (no connection etc posted for info)

4 hours ago, kenf48 said:

You could perhaps impress your friend with

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/derbyshire-yeomanry-war-history-1914-1919/

Currently in their black friday sale a reprint of the 1921 edition (no connection etc posted for info)

Thanks again. I just forwarded that to him but apparently he already has it! Thanks anyway though